[eDebate] Call for community inolvement - 08-09 Topic

Gordon Stables stables
Thu Apr 3 03:10:43 CDT 2008

This is the first year in recent history that the CEDA topic process will
accept submissions after the NDT and CEDA Nationals. Using an amendment
passed last year, the CEDA Topic Selection Committee is accepting
controversy papers until Friday, April 18, 2008. There are no restrictions
on the type of paper that will be considered for the ballot this year (i.e.,
legal, domestic, foreign policy, etc).

The effect of these changes is that you can today start working on a topic
proposal and have it considered for 08-09. Completed papers should be
emailed to me as the Chair of the Committee.

We are providing several ways for community members to provide input:

1 - We have provided guidelines for those interested in developing papers
at http://www.cedatopic.com/controversy.html

2- We have provided a list of those volunteers and committee members who are
working on specific controversies. These individuals can always use
assistance from the community. This list is available at
http://www.cedatopic.com/nexttopic.html

3 - The Topic Process Blog has been updated and an a new open thread has
been added. This blog, and not any of the e-lists, will be the regular site
for discussion about the topic process. Please feel free to leave your
comments at http://blog.cedatopic.com/   The blog also contains subscription
options for those who would like to follow the entire topic process via
email or RSS feeds.

I cannot stress strongly enough that the blog, and not any e-list, will be
the primary medium of information from the committee and that we would
prefer community input be provided to that medium. It is much easier to keep
this site organized and searchable as we work through the topic selection
and construction process.

The topic site, www.cedatopic.com, outlines the entire topic process,
provides the email information for every member of the committee, and
provides archival information about previous papers. Our goal is to make the
entire process transparent and accessible.

Finally, I would like to once again ask for your input. I pushed for the
later submission date because I hoped it would allow more folks to author
papers after CEDA Nats and the NDT. I know there are many other items
pressing for everyone's attention, but consider taking part in the process.
We have some promising ideas for papers, but this doesn't preclude other
great ideas.

Thanks for reading. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.
Director of Debate and Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Southern California
Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913
 <http://usctrojandebate.com/> http://usctrojandebate.com