[eDebate] On the passing of Dr. James J. Unger

Bredehoft, John M. jmbredehoft
Fri Apr 4 15:57:05 CDT 2008

For those of us who entered the debate community in the 1970s (my
debating years extending from 1972 through 1980), Jim Unger was at first
a remote overarching presence, then a valued and respected colleague. He
was unexpectedly witty, occasionally sardonic, but never cruel or
intentionally disheartening. We admired his brilliance and his
intellectual honesty (while at the same time, as high school students at
the Georgetown summer institute, conspiring to evade his parietal
rules). My life as it is today would be unthinkable without having
debated; my debate experience would have been unthinkably different,
unthinkably inferior, without Jim Unger's enthusiasm. I did not know him
as well as many but I am saddened beyond words by his passing.

". . . The good is oft interred with their bones." It will not be so
with Dr. Unger. Our thoughts are of and with him.

John M. Bredehoft

Cardinal Spellman HS Class of 1976 (TOC '75, '76)

Harvard College Class of 1980 (NDT '79)

Georgetown Summer Debate Institute, 1974, 1975

The information contained in this electronic message is legally privileged
and confidential under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying or
disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify Kaufman & Canoles at (757) 624-3000
or by return e-mail to helpdesk at kaufcan.com, and purge the communication
immediately without making any copy or distribution.

Disclosure Required by Internal Revenue Service Circular 230:
This communication is not a tax opinion.  To the extent it contains tax advice,
it is not intended or written by the practitioner to be used, and it cannot be used
by the taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed
on the taxpayer by the Internal Revenue Service.