[eDebate] SOUTH AMERICA

Andrew Michael-Don Casey acasey3
Fri Apr 4 21:35:52 CDT 2008

So, in light of the fairly consistent remark made to me by framework
debaters that I ought involve myself in the topic process before I
bitch about the topic, I offer the following:
I say we debate about South America. Not that I wouldn?t enjoy the
intelligence topic (or how rapidly boring it would become?.), South
America is a very timely very action-packed topic that could cover a
good range of issues while meeting the enjoyment needs of both the
policy schools and the K crowd. I know there will be some concerns such
as we just had a foreign policy topic, but this is a dramatically
different topic than the ME was (culturally and politically). Also, I
did a quick look through of all the topics in the past and ZERO were
even close to this part of the world (the nfl did one in 1987-1988). I
don?t think there has been close to a focus in our history of a topic
that studied government structure in latin America. My issue with that
is that the region is volatile, expanding, has a rich history, and is
just important to talk about.
There is a lot of relevant advantage case area ? narco, trade,
environment, pollution, human trafficking, corruption, border disputes
There would be tons of disad ground ? trade, economy, China, Japan (
well a lot of international actors have stakes in the region), politics
(US politics obviously? but also there are some legislative elections
in a few of the countries that could be talked about).
Good K ground ? depending on the wording this could actually be good K
aff ground (as compared to other described K ground for next topic(s)
where the K ground is ?you get to go negative?) and very good neg K
lit.
There are a couple of countries in particular that could be focused on.
Brazil has a lot of development: ?As Brazil's domestic economy has
grown and diversified, the country has become increasingly involved in
international politics and economics. The United States?is  primary
markets for Brazilian exports and sources of foreign lending and
investment. Brazil has also bolstered its commitment to
nonproliferation through ratification of the nuclear Non-Proliferation
Treaty (NPT), signing a fullscale nuclear safeguard agreement with the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), acceeding to the Treaty of
Tlatelolco, and becoming a member of the Missile Technology Control
Regime (MTCR) and the Nuclear Suppliers Group.Its got border disputes
and even some Illicit drugs.? (wikipedia).It is economically growing.
Brazil may become among the four most dominant economies by the year
2050.  Brazil is the world's largest producer of ethanol.

Colombia. Dude. Colombia could be sweet for anyone. History of
corruption, narco, terror, child soldiers. You name it, Colombia has it.

Venezuela ? two words: Hugo Chavez.

Peru ? trade issues everywhere. Increasing GDP with increasing debt.

Argentina has a lot of discussion ? "The United States has a positive
bilateral relationship with Argentina based on many common strategic
interests, including non-proliferation, counternarcotics,
counterterrorism, the fight against human trafficking, and issues of
regional stability, as well as the strength of commercial ties.
Argentina is a participant in the Three-Plus-One regional mechanism
(Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and the U.S.), which focuses on
coordination of counter-terrorism policies in the tri-border region."
(wikipedia)

Obviously these are just some ideas. Mike Davis has been writing the
topic paper for this one and is asking for any help possible. Right now
he wants the area to focus on economic integration/cooperation in the
region. Im not sure if im married to that idea yet, but it is a good
place to start. Right now I think we just need some ideas and a little
base research done. If you want to contribute send off an email to
mikedavis13 at aol.com or to me acasey3 at ucok.edu . do this preferably
before the 11th.

-A Casey
UCO debate