[eDebate] Henry A. Giroux, neoliberalism, bush and critical pedagogy

J T jtedebate
Sat Apr 5 13:43:59 CDT 2008

Below is an email conversation between myself and Prof. Henry A. Giroux concerning his work on neoliberalism and critical pedagogy.  My initial email is reprinted below

Dear JT:

Thanks for the note, the information about the debate club, and the
nature of some of the important issues the students are addressing.
While I can't answer any of the questions below in detail--not merely
because they demand a lot of time, which I don't have, but also
because I continually write about some of these issues, especially in
the newest book Against the Terror of Neoliberalism.

The comment from a judge(s) about what will Giroux do when Bush leaves
office is just silly on a number of counts. I was writing books long
before Bush came to office because many of the issues I have addressed
for a number of years such as the ongoing attack on the welfare state,
workers, youth who of color who are poor, etc., did not begin with
Bush and will not end with him.

I think the questions you ask are predicated on the assumption that
power is almost entirely located in the state and the institution of
the presidency. Actually, one of the significant changes in the
political landscape under neoliberalism is that the state is become
increasingly powerless to deal with the reach and scope of capital,
whose power far exceeds any control by the nation state. I am not sure
if any president can control that separation of local politics from
the global power of capital.  Even at home, I am not optimistic about
a democratic president being able to dismantle the increasing power of
the military-industrial-academic complex. Are you? These are systemic
problems that demand a new understanding of the relationship among
power, economics, politics, and education.

McCain is simply an upbeat and more articulate version of Bush. He
caters shamelessly to religous bigots, corporate power, and he defines
himself as basically a hawk. I am not sure the country could survive
him as a president.

Critical pedagogy begins with the assumption that matters of critical
though, debate, dialogue, and informed action are central not only to
a viable notion of citizenship but as Arendt argued to the very
meaning of politics and democracy. Education is ground zero in the
production of citizens rather than merely consumers and if young
people do not get the critical foundation for becoming individual and
social agents who care deeply about a substantive democracy, I am
afraid this country will vote in an authoritarian government and
social order that will mimic some elements of fascism that we have
seen in the past.

Regarding government reforms for education, clearly NCLB has to be
dismantled, the social state has to be revived, we need billions of
dollars to build smaller schools, provide safety networks for children
who are in trouble economically, subsidize jobs for school staff,
tutors, and develop and rebuild schools that are literally falling
apart in many parts of the country. We also need to give teachers
decent salaries, give them access to free post secondary education,
and more control over their jobs. See Stanley Aronowitz's newest book
on education for more specific details on this issue.

Paulo Freire wrote largely about schools while I write about a number
of areas ranging from cultural studies to youth studies to the
politics of higher education. Also, how theoretical frameworks are
different, though I have great respect for his work and incorporate
many of his principles into my own theories of pedagogy.

Hope this helps. I wish I were available to answer questions with more
time and care, but that is impossible given my work load.

best,

Henry Giroux

JT

Asst. Debate Coach