[eDebate] ans Love

Michael Korcok mmk_savant
Wed Apr 9 01:57:12 CDT 2008

Mr. Love asks: "What do YOU do to challenge the forms of domination and oppression that this debate community is complicit with."

I challenge thinking that has been suborned by ideology by engaging in practices which encourage the gathering and evaluation of evidence in the reasoned formation of judgments.
Because minds captured by memes is the general case of minds captured by racist thinking or sexist thinking or leftist thinking or mystical/religious belief.

I point out that religiosity is often a betrayal of persons' critical thinking capacities.  Praying to an imaginary magical buddy for intercessions is an example.
YOUR thing seems to be race - MY thing is religion.  I think your thing is important but I think my thing is at least as important.  Because believing in imaginary magical buddies is game over while identifying strongly with your social/biological clan is just way gone.  If you are willing to give my arguments a fair hearing, I will give yours one as well.

I argue that human individuals matter while constructed social and biological cohorts as ethical entities are collectivist fictions typically used to dehumanize persons.
This one interacts in complex ways with the other ways that I challenge (and accept and encourage) other forms of domination and oppression.

I coach debate at a Community College, providing opportunities usually available only to intellectual elites and the economically privileged.  I hope you are willing to do so, at least for a while, after you get your 4-year degree from Towson State University.  The students here are the same folks who benefit from UDLs, only they don't have UDLs.

Taken together, I do more than my fair share to "challenge the forms of domination and oppression."  I don't do as much as some, of course, but I do more than YOU do.  I know that's confrontational, but YOU capitalized the YOU first.

Mr. Love says: "No one has really answered that to my satisfaction.  Im not really concerned with whether people talk to me or not, but more concerned about what we do to help people.  I shared my experiences to show people how i got to where i am as a person who talks about racism alot."

Well, you haven't really told us what would satisfy you.  I hope this isn't just a moving the goalposts scam where nothing we say meets your unstated criteria for satisfaction.

I answered your question in the first person.  But please don't think that the lack of answers from others means there aren't dozens and dozens of great answers to your question from many individuals in this community.  Some probably don't feel that they need to justify themselves to YOU, some likely feel they do a lot but erroneously believe that it isn't enough, some don't want to brag, and some don't want to get caught up in a vituperative edebate exchange.

I invite you to join me in any one of my projects, however: improving critical thinking, promoting science and reason, challenging religiosity, and My War Against Ideology.  You've been talking about racism:  now how about taking on a more complex and less comfortable domination like religion or ideology?

OH! CONGRATULATIONS!  I sent Andy the congratulations a few days ago, with a half-jest that I would, no doubt, take it back after watching how you made a travesty of debate in the final round.  I watched the final round on YouTube earlier this evening.  You made me sad, but not sad enough to take back the CONGRATULATIONS!

Michael Korcok