[eDebate] Nationals Proliferation

Wed Apr 9 18:25:55 CDT 2008

In my neverending need to raise peoples hackles, I submit the following:

Is it just me, or is it getting to the point of absurdity the number of
"National Championships" available in debate generally, and in policy debate
specifically. I know parly and forms thereof have at least three National
Champions. (There is even a "national champion" for a form of debate that only
people from Louisiana, Arkansas and East texas participate in. NEDA may still
exist, but I think their championship in West Texas was raided by the cops
outside of San Angelo.)

But for Policy, the national championship proliferation has spread, to my count
at least six. There may be more. But I noticed, for example, there were FOUR JV
national Championships this year. FOUR!

Maybe we need the representives of these "national championships" to come
together to create some consolidation. For example, the four JV level national
championship hosts (East Coast Novice/JV Nationals, West Coast JV/Novice
Nationals, NJDNDT, and the Freshman/Sophmore Nats) came come up with a rotation
plan so that we can all come together.

That and blowing up the NDT would make for a more harmonious policy debate
community.

Scott Elliott

p.s.

somebody had to say it