[eDebate] Reconciling Science and Religion

MWBRYANT at aol.com MWBRYANT
Thu Apr 10 15:50:13 CDT 2008

Don Bryson writes:

"3) Yes, the literal interpretation of the age of the Earth dating from  Adam
and Eve being thrown out of the Garden of Eden to present day is about  6,000
years. Here's your problem: Adam and Eve lived on Earth before they were
thrown out of Eden (read your Bible young Mike). How long were they in Eden
before being cast out? That's right.you spoke before you thought. I'm sure Dr.
Warner will forgive you. "

Look, I don't mean to insult anyone's faith, and far be it from me to sound
like I'm supporting Korcok (though I guess he's right at least some of the
time...), but you sound like you're stating an obvious bit of reasoning that
everyone should be aware of. Really! Just what are you insinuating? That Adam
and Eve were eternal before they were cast out of Eden? That they lived for
billions of years before they cast out? Are you suggesting then, that Adam and
Eve were living in Eden during (even maybe before) the period of time that
dinosaurs roamed the earth? Are you doubting the science behind any dating of
human skeletons that shows people dying earlier than 6000 years ago? How does
your reading of biblical text explain the evidence of Neanderthals? Was the
Earth really created in six 24-hour days?

I hope Dr. Warner will forgive me asking such mundane questions, but I  don't
understand the obvious answer. By the way, I have extensively studied the
Bible. Take the time to explain these obvious concerns, please. Remember, less
than a generation ago, many Baptists in the Southeast were using the myth of
Cain's descendents being marked to justify and support racism. I remember
hearing it being preached from the pulpit as a child.

I don't reject religion or God. I reject the twisted logic used to  reconcile
ancient historical poetry with obvious science. If faith requires
abandonment of reasoning, then religion really has some PR problems.

Bear
Louisville, KY