[eDebate] The edebate debate

Isaac Peck dark_hallway15
Thu Apr 10 19:45:47 CDT 2008

 I think ALL of us are guilty of many of the things we are criticizing.  We claim to be ?taking a stance against oppression,? but in the same breath we attack those who would join us, or at the very least are committed to making debate and the world a better place.  I am particularly guilty of this given my stereotypical white man's response to ?Louisville? style debate.   Given time to properly reflect, my approach was completely flawed.   The denial of racism, or the denial of classism, or the denial of the destructive aspects of religion, etc, ultimately do nothing but re-entrench these problems, work to make them invisible, and divide us as a community.

 However, as a young, fairly immature debater, I am absolutely fascinated by the discussions that are taking place.   This is not to say that I don't recognize and lament the reactionary, sometimes counter-productive perspectives being espoused from all sides (including myself), but simply that I hope and believe that open discussion of these issues is the only path towards positive change, and should therefore be embraced.

 I'll admit that the majority of this community is far more intellectual than I, has read far more race literature, and most probably have educational degrees that dwarf my academic accomplishments.     Given these facts, I will reflect on Adam's and Love's questions to the community rather than try to articulate my feelings about what I am doing to make the world a better place. (I'll admit that the personal attacks against those who have already attempted to participate contributes to my decision.)

 Lastly, I'll be the first to admit that it's hard for white people to accept their ?whiteness? and that we usually instinctively react with ignorant hostility.  At the same time, some of the perspectives of the black community share the same ignorant, hostile characteristics, which consequently produce the same results regardless of how justified and ?true? you feel these sentiments are.

 I urge the entire community to sincerely think about and consider these positions that you so passionately disagree with.  All of us have unique and valuable perspectives to offer.  None of us have all the answers.   We all will benefit from hearing out those who disagree with us and trying to overcome our biases before burping out a hostile response.

Keep an open mind, a lot of us are part of the same struggle.

 Isaac

http://mail.yahoo.com