[eDebate] Kacey

michael hester uwgdebate
Wed Apr 2 22:27:35 CDT 2008

i am persuaded that the harm to Kacey justifies the posts being scrubbed. it
doesn't serve any purpose being online. Scott P is correct that it's an easy
thing to take care of. and David is right that the potential harms outweigh
any (no) benefit.

i don't understand how what i said was paternalistic. couldn't the calls for
greater regulation of edebate be deemed paternalistic?

i am insensitive, about most things. my jovial demeanor often masks that
insensitivity. i think most people take themselves way too seriously, and
tend to exaggerate the harm done to them by someone else's words. for
instance, i've never been "horrified" by anything i've ever read on edebate.

what was written about Kacey was offensive. not because she's a woman. not
because she wants to be a lawyer and might have to explain to some uptight
firm why edebate is silliness X infinity. simply because it was wrong and
vulgar. it was wrong and the people responsible should be the focus of
folks' wrath.

Kacey was an ass when she debated; mean to her opponent, egotistical, and,
ironically, dismissive of the idea that things she said in a debate might be
offensive to others. it's not that i'm disqualifying her feelings. i simply
find them odd coming from her. in many ways, she was the epitome of the
insensitive debater. i watched her take great joy in the suffering of her
opponents, so i find it difficult to sympathize with her. despite all that,
what was said about her was unwarranted and over the line. and i can
sympathize with that. her being an asshole when she debated does not justify
what was said about her.

questioned whether there was any purpose for edebate archives at all, i
explained there was. not that there's a purpose for what was said about her
to remain in the archives. but then again, her question was clearly intended
to suggest that there shouldn't be any archives at all. the same way she
proposed to solve the whole problem by getting rid of Kerpen. which is also
a bad idea. until someone wants to step up and volunteer to do his job, that
is.

i do accept being ignorant on the law interview process. true, i haven't
been to almost 100 law interviews, or even 100 job interviews of any kind.
i'm not sure i even have the intestinal fortitude to be rejected that much.
david's shock and awe at how someone would dare imply the world has too many
lawyers made me laugh. out loud. the rant about how bad it is to judge
lawyers was even funnier. don't worry, the legal field can always compare
itself to insurance companies when they need an esteem boost.

hester