[eDebate] Fwd: hester/edebate moderation (From Alicia Hunt)

michael hester uwgdebate
Thu Apr 3 00:43:53 CDT 2008

"you obviously don't know her"

i judged her a few times and watched her debate dozens of other times. i
listened to her conversations with my debaters. i certainly know her as a
debater, and all of my comments describe her as such. i stand by every one
of them. and, btw, not one of them denies her success as a debater or her
status as a human. she's not the first debater who acted like that and she
won't be the last.

"Would her humanity be an issue had she been a male participant?  Have you
seriously ever characterized Jim or Geoff as being insensitive and
inflicting "suffering" on their opponents because they like to win debates?"

this one is laughable and clear evidence that you don't know me. first, her
"humanity" isn't an issue, and injecting that it is is asinine. acting like
an ass is VERY human. geez, you might as well have said it was the ZP to the
HC, lol. second, i've never claimed geoff acts like an ass b/c he doesn't.
he's way too shy and afraid to hurt someone's feelings. i've frequently said
jim acts like an ass at times. he's kinda funny, so he can get away with it
most of the time. sometimes he can't. to answer your implicit assertion -
that somehow i judge male and female debaters by different standards - i'll
have two responses:

1) no, actually i don't. Adrienne Brovero is one of the top five debaters i
ever saw, extremely aggressive and more than willing to kick her opponents'
ass. which is exactly why i loved judging her and tell my debaters how
fantastic she was (especially as a 2A on the bail topic). and i've never
described her as an ass. she wasn't. completely different personality. she
was talented and smart and wanted to win as badly as anyone i know. only
people that are fairly mediocre at evaluating debaters/arguments conflate
being competitive with being an ass. i've described lots of male debaters as
acting like asses - B. Prestes, J. Martin, M. Laird, C. Rockefeller, to name
just a few. off the top of my head, i can't recall a female debater i ever
described as acting like an ass in debates, although i'm sure i have.  just
b/c someone has ovaries doesn't mean everything said about them is
influenced by their gender.

2) your attempt to turn this into a "women get treated differently" is dumb
in this instance. i'm more than willing to concede the double-standard that
female debaters often face. Kacey did indeed act in ways insensitive in
debates. ask some of the Louisville debaters about their experiences against
her. maybe some had a grand time. the ones i talked to at the time said she
was patronizing and dismissive. it fit perfectly with my personal experience
of her debate style.

finally, no, i don't owe Kacey an apology. the people who said vulgar things
about her do. i didn't say anything vulgar or untrue. she hasn't experienced
spirit-murder. hell, i imagine there's more than few law firms for whom
she's now an even more attractive candidate.

hester

p.s. - as i made clear in previous posts, nothing i've said about her being
mean and insensitive in debates justifies the DCA shit that was falsely
written about her. and i've already agreed it makes sense to delete those.