[eDebate] Edebate Comment about Joe's Rankings

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Thu Apr 3 15:49:12 CDT 2008

I like the idea of open dialogue.

Although Repko didn't rank this year, he has a pretty complex system of
bid analysis that accounts not only for head to head wins, but then
ranks wins and losses by quality. I don't think there's any doubt that,
for example, a win over Berkeley BP was more impressive than a win over
us (simply because there were fewer of them over the year). Similarly,
his system provides credit for wins over teams that clear somewhere,
even if their record, or partner switches, or internal squad decisions
meant that they didn't show up in the 2nd round pool.

I do think, even in a mostly objective system, there remains plenty of
discretion to figure out who you think is 16 versus 17. But the chances
of a single skew vote determining the outcome is less if most voters
have 15-18 fairly close together, instead of having a couple of outliers
determine the final outcome. Dropping double high-low is also helpful.

I also, however, think this dialogue should be conducted nicely. The
tradition of waiting to show the specific rankings until after NDT
prelims is a good one, as those ranking need to worry less about who
might disagree and more about what the records show. I think Dallas'
decision to wait a month before making an argument, gently, was a great
model.

It might also be significant to know more about whether those ranking
privilege particular tournaments, particular argument styles, etc. My
personal view is that beating another specific bid applicant is equally
impressive regardless of which parcel of stolen land it occurred upon.
However, the significance of winning the tournament, or clearing, etc.,
should rightly vary depending on the competition. I think we should
reward good wins more than punish bad losses. I think teams should be
rewarded (slightly) for going beyond the minimum necessary national
tournaments, but many 1st round competitors perceive they have nothing
to gain and much to lose from the occasion regional foray. Whether those
perceptions are grounded in reality isn't clear to me, but even if it
is, it might be overstated and damaging to regional tournaments.

Or, to put it another way....

The process of bid decision making incentivizes some travel decisions
over others. It is NOT just an after the fact assessment, but instead
someone that teams pro-actively adapt to. A single ranker can influence
a team's prospects more, in many cases, than a single judge. Mutual Pref
is probably incoherent here, but perhaps ranking philosophies could be
public before the beginning of the season?

Ermo

MoState