[eDebate] ur dumb...

matt stannard stannardmatt
Fri Apr 4 13:40:25 CDT 2008

Can't we ban high school kids from posting?

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:23:09 -0400From: getsomepoliticalnuance at gmail.comTo: omritarded at gmail.com; edebate at ndtceda.comSubject: Re: [eDebate] ur dumb...
You're pretty hostile and angsty for someone who advocates whimsy and play as the solution/ alt. Where was this whimsy in all your 'you're dumb' comments (I know you stepped outside of parody to say all this so relax)? And saying I have to know someone to competently answer their arguments only legitimates status quo arrangements of power.

Sorry i don't have a posse to set up email accounts with me, verify which tools i have in my pants, gang up on individual women who send in one post (which, by the way, i did mostly because it was an opportunity to defend an alternative to Jesus), etc. I'm not against any of the above; I'm just saying that I'm a big girl and can do all these things myself. Because I am a woman. Please stop imposing Lotte Schwartz on me. And please set aside your notions of whichever male you think I am. Whether you're doing this because you think it's key to your offense or because you hate this kid, if there's one thing we should be able to agree on as women it's that inscribing malehood onto woman creates among the most pernicious forms of false consciousness/ inauthenticity and necessitates the surrendering of a lot of critical agency (those forms associated with bodily integrity, other gender expressions and interests, etc).

I concede that parody can be an illuminating, educational methodology in round. On edebate i think parody probably requires more than one edebate post, with a sustained message, if you want to come off as anything but the kid who gets off on 8th birthday party magic tricks. If you win that nontraditional, boundary-pushing, more guerilla strategies like parody solve/ are good -- i just conceded this is true in another context and with a condition attached to this context -- then redeploying sexist language like 'guy', whether redeployed ironically or otherwise, solves, too, because its radicalness, too, disrupts the system, opens up space and gives agency back to women. Here I would read a Bakhtin card: both parody and language redeployment can be strategies of carnivale.         On calling a specific someone a Zionist & certain tolerances intolerant & a more self-aware, self-reflexive clan & your impact turn to parody:  my concessions on parody above mean that I couldn't agree more. These are all absolutely true. (And worth pointing out so thanks for doing so.)  I don't address any of these args in my last post; only their impact. If you go for the parody impact turn, then I wholeheartedly agree on that, too. Our point of divergence is on the way you deploy parody in this context in this instance; i think parody's potency is lost when its role as parody is not obvious/ clarified earlier. This, I think, is what problematizes some manifestations of parody in rounds (but saying this is very different from say parody is universally always bad). And email is certainly not the best textual form of representation for this approach.

I'm over debating this, which was what i meant by 'peace. word.' in my last post. Sure, before this email i needed to clarify where i stood on parody. Now i've done that. So now there's no productive content left to uncover. Let's bloody stop arguing this. We agree on way too much. The only possible content left is defense for you like 'no i was right in this instance, too, because...' If you insist on clarifying this, sure, go for it. But, sorry to disappoint you, I'm probably not going to debate you on it; I don't have to artificially create a point of clash in a, ahem, conversation. Are you parodying the stereotypical, combative female or somethiing? Because, dude, wow, take a Midol.

A.