[eDebate] Larry Tribe on Jim Unger

Harrison, Frank fharriso
Fri Apr 4 20:23:45 CDT 2008

I wasn't in debate during the decade and a half which Larry recalls. My memories are of an earlier time: the early to middle sixties in which Jim began his career and established his reputation in academic debate. Larry was there too, and I'm sure would agree that all he said of  later times was true then, too.

For so many years, "Jimmy," as we knew him then, enobled debate and attracted to it a great many bright young people whose lives were made much better because of it. One story illustrates. About fifteen years ago, Jim and I were seated for dinner in a San Antonio restaurant. Our waiter came over, handed us the menus, and did a double take. He said something very like: "Aren't you Dr. Unger? I went to your Institute one summer and have never forgotten it. I'm in college here now, and wish I could still be debating. But I still remember that summer."

Rest in peace, my friend.

Frank Harrison

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com on behalf of Greg A. Rosenbaum
Sent: Fri 4/4/2008 3:12 PM
To: edebate at www.ndtceda.com
Subject: [eDebate] Larry Tribe on Jim Unger

Posted on behalf of Laurence H. Tribe, 15th NDT Champion and Coach of the 23rd NDT Champion, a remembrance of James J. Unger:

"For most of us during the crucial decade and a half starting in the mid-1970s - the decade in which many of us came of age or settled into our lifetime careers - Jimmy Unger WAS debate, debate as high art, debate as ritual, debate as relentless analysis, debate as bloodless battle. He lived it, breathed it, epitomized it, enjoyed it, perfected it, practiced it, and made it a permanent part of our lives. For all of that, and for the inestimable wit and twinkling wisdom that Jimmy exuded for so many years, we will all owe him a huge and permanent debt. May his memory live forever in and through those of us who cared about him and who were lucky enough to be his friends.

Larry Tribe"