[eDebate] JT & Latin America

J T jtedebate
Mon Apr 7 13:44:39 CDT 2008

I agree with Russell's evaluation of the topic process and the need to focus on mechanisms...HOWEVER, I'm unclear as to where the idea that solvency advocates are limited!  An hour of google disproves...I found several solvency advocates (some with loose prescriptions, some with detailed proposals)...

Here is some of what I found just generally searching for "Latin America"...although the solvency advocates are best found in the country specific literature...This also includes a few general issue and policy overviews for people to get their feet wet:

  Current History 107.706 (Feb 2008)         (Latin America issue / Harms/overview)

  Latin American Politics & Society (on project muse)

  http://www.usip.org/on_the_issues/colombia.html (harms / Colombia)

  http://www.usip.org/pubs/reports_regions.html#americas_central (gen. harms/overview)

  http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060101faessay85105/peter-hakim/is-washington-losing-latin-america.html  (good policy/relations discussion
gives several policy recs)

  www.handsoffvenezuela.org      (Neg land)

  Pastor 2k3  http://www.american.edu/ia/cnas/pdfs/PastorTestimonyHIRC.pdf
  U.S. Policy toward the Western Hemisphere: Challenges and Opportunities

  U.S. foreign policy in Latin America: time for a change. Joseph Figueiredo. ORBIS 51.4 (Fall 2007): p697(13).  (policy recs / overview)

  http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/03/02/7410/  (LA and Monroe Doctrine)

  Roll Over, Monroe.(World Affairs)(Monroe Doctrine ).Joseph Contreras. Newsweek International 150.24 (Dec 10, 2007)    (general LA policy and Monroe Doctrine)

  A New U.S. Policy Toward Latin America: WOLA Unveils Its Plan for 2008 and Beyond
  U.S. Newswire,  September, 2007

  Commerce between friends and foes; Latin America and the United States.The Economist (US) 385.8549 (Oct 6, 2007):

  A quiet revolution: Latin America's unheralded progress.(Brief article)(Book review).Francis Fukuyama. Foreign Affairs 86.6 (Nov-Dec 2007): p177

  The AIDS Pandemic in Latin America.The AIDS Reader 17.10 (Oct 1, 2007): p509. (found on Expanded Academic/Infotrak)

  The Latin American revolt: an introduction.John Bellamy Foster. Monthly Review 59.3 (July-August 2007): p1(7).

    Cato Handbook for Congress: Policy Recommendations for the 108th Congress (2003)
  http://www.cato.org/pubs/handbook/hb108/hb108-65.pdf
  Time for a U.S. Policy toward Latin America
  The United States can play a strategic role in promoting economic freedom, stability, and growth in Latin America?something it has not done for nearly a decade. That means reversing the current policy characterized by bailouts, protectionist measures, and mixed messages to the region. It also means that Washington must end its destructive war on drugs in the region, which works at cross-purposes with important U.S. policy priorities (see Chapter 56 on the international war on drugs). In drug source countries such as Colombia, the drug war is fueling corruption and violence, financing terrorism, undermining the rule of law, and otherwise debilitating the institutions of civil society. The impact of the U.S.-led war on drugs south of the border has been imperceptible in the United States, but its consequences in Latin America are completely at odds with Washington?s stated goal of encouraging free markets.
  The rhetoric of free trade must be followed by policy actions consistent with such language. Congress should support a unilateral reduction of trade barriers to the region?s goods and negotiate free-trade agreements with countries eager to do so, beginning with Chile. The United States would thus highlight the success of market reformers in the region by rewarding them without penalizing others. The diverging performances of the countries that embrace economic freedom and the rest can have a powerful effect on the policy direction that Latin American countries subsequently take.

  Importance of relations
  Wesley A. Fryer 1993
  [?Defining and Refocusing US Policy Toward Latin  America,? http://www.wesfryer.com/uslapolicy.html]

  The role of policymakers during this transitional era is extremely critical, as momentous changes in economic and political policies are attempted. Mistakes, like the rejection of NAFTA by the U.S. Congress, a unilateral U.S. military intervention in the hemisphere, or a Latin American government's resort to violence to restore order in a nation destabilized by democratic protest could have dramatic, long term effects for the collective future of the Americas.
  Economic interests and political stability will continue to primarily define U.S. interests in Latin America. Hemispheric trends as well as changes in U.S. strategic priorities can potentially allow the moral component of U.S. policy in the region to receive increased emphasis, however. "Perpetual Peace" envisioned by Immanuel Kant or "The End of History" postulated by Fukuyama will never be realized if eighty percent of the world's wealth is controlled by twenty percent of its population. Nations of the Americas must address and remedy economic injustices within their societies, in addition to pursuing democratic and other economic reforms, to prevent future conflict and fulfill moral imperatives. It might seem politically popular in the United States to jump on the protectionist bandwagon, but it is clearly not internationally pragmatic. As citizens of the global village in the Americas, our economic and political future is inextricably tied to Latin  America. Only by
 cooperatively advancing our mutual economic, security, and moral interests can we secure the peaceful and prosperous future we envision for ourselves and our posterity.

Jason Russell <jasonlrussell1 at gmail.com> wrote: Russia 08-09.

The LA topic will be boring and stink because what we actually debate about (solvency) is much more limited than what people have been talking about (harms). Much like the China topic, which has been discussed recently ad nauseam, the topics ended up looking different than what people expected when they'd discussed harms in the spring. When the topic turned out to be pressure-based, the number of available harms and avenues for possible solutions shrunk. All Im saying is the topic will largely be about the mechanism, not the problem area and the rationale for interest, as a result, should be focused on that. We arent taking a trip to Brazil here; we're writing topics. The economic cooperation area being discussed sounds like a snooze-a-minute. Another trade/aid topic. Can't we get something better than this?

Russia 08-09.

JT

Asst. Debate Coach
Emporia State University