[eDebate] Knowing when NOT to debate

Ede Warner ewarner
Tue Apr 8 12:39:42 CDT 2008

Duane,

1) He said that there were many other experiences that validate his
feelings; he chose not to share them all.
2) Don't you see that your attempts to debate/rationalize his feelings
stem from your depression, not whether or not his feelings are valid;
3) Your attempts to "debate" his logic, only creates more alienation
from those with a different set of experiences, feeling that your
concerns Duane have more to do with us making claims that reinforce
white personal comfort.  Is it possible for you to
accept/concede/acknowledge that Dayvon's experiences are sufficient for
him to draw his conclusions in the same ways that you do?  And if not,
do you not realize that his hesitancy to post/participate and engage the
predominately white debate community is because of what you just did,
minimize his experiences by imposing your attempts at proving his logic
irrational?
4) Again, that is institutional racism at work Duane.  The collective
experiences of the majority don't have to be right or correct, but will
be popular because they are shared by the majority.  Could Dayvon's
experiences, if accepted not be an important starting point for you to
consider what needs to be done to create productive change, if you could
suspend your desire to critique his experiences?  Can you not see why
your rhetorical move is not productive?  Or is your only goal to prove
to Dayvon that you are right and he is wrong, whether or not the sum
total of experiences, yours and his, supports such a claim?
5) What if everyone in the Great Debaters, had done what you just did?
Would the room full of whites have learned anything from the black
experience of lynching as it relates to civil disobedience?  But it was
only a few whites that created legal lynching, right?

Feeling depressed that the same stuff just happens over and over
again...

With love and frustration,

Ede

Ede Warner, Jr.
Director of Debate Society/Associate Professor of Communication
University of Louisville
308E Strickler Hall
502-852-3522
ewarner at louisville.edu