[eDebate] Knowing when NOT to debate

Steven D'Amico stevendamico
Tue Apr 8 13:20:48 CDT 2008

Dayvon. First off congrats. Heckuva Job.

Ede is right Duane.

Like you, I spent a while writing a post in response to Dayvon. The
difference between you and I, is I didn't hit send. After all, Dayvon's
feelings are valid and shouldn't be debated, but rather, understood and
appreciated.

Duane, you're right. High School kids are morons, but that doesn't negate
what Dayvon feels.

Dayvon, it makes me extremely sad your experiences in high school
discouraged you from interacting with the college debate community
socially. Whenever I am at D7 tournaments I would ask myself "Why is towson
always just hanging with themselves." I always saw towson hanging in a
classroom as a squad or off in a corner, etc during lunch. Honestly, I
probably thought "they just hate all other types of debate so they want to
stick themselves." Perhaps a typical white person response?

I guess now I know the real reason why. I just WISH I had know earlier. I
apologize for not realizing this when it mattered. I travel to debate
tournaments to have a good time with friends (and win :) ) While people
debate different styles, I wish there was something that could (or could
have been done) to make you feel more welcome socially.

The crappy part here is this: if folks disagree with your argument, does
that mean they are not accepting you socially? I understand, given your
experiences, why you might say yes. Hell you might be right. jI just wish
you had given a few more of us a chance to demonstrate the positive side of
the debate community.... even those of us that really really like T, the
politics da and the cap K.

D'Amico