[eDebate] Answering Adam's Question / Dr. Warner and THIS COMMUNITY

Ede Warner ewarner
Tue Apr 8 21:01:40 CDT 2008

Deven,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding what you feel I
should have done, and all I can do is respectfully disagree.  Nothing
will change what the last two years became, and I'm okay with the
choices I have made as well as the ones I am yet to make and I won't
apologize for that.

I just wanted you to know how I felt about your success and show proper
respect for your accomplishments.

I'll concede that perhaps you may be the next MLK if defined as the
person to take future generations of black students armed with debate
exclusion arguments to keep up levels of community discomfort, and I am
certainly not that person.  I don't that strategy was sustainable for
"generations" during the Civil Rights Movement, and I don't think it's
sustainable for that length of time now, but I've certainly been wrong
before. What I do know is that I'm not the leader to create generations
of exclusion and that isn't my goal, which is about creating sustainable
structural changes in institutional racism.  So take care and I wish you
the best.
Love,

Doc