[eDebate] health care

Dylan Keenan dylan.keenan
Tue Apr 8 22:52:45 CDT 2008

I think a healthcare topic would have NO PROBLEM getting to huge global
impacts. Back on the courts topic I wrote a healthcare DA against state
action affirmatives, basically if you overturned the state action doctrine
the courts would impose universal healthcare. The impacts both directions
are crazy.

a. Economy ---- it could bust the budget but the current healthcare
situation is universally agreed to be terrible ---- can access
competitiveness, healthcare costs as huge internal links.

b. Terrorism ---- specifically global modeling of US health infrastructure
causes bioterrorism preparedness globally or just win attacks in the US.
Great internal link evidence about how universal healthcare stops the spread
of a bioterrorist attack which is uh... big.

c. Leadership ---- soft power ---- plenty of cards that lack of universal
health care crushes US human rights credibility and leadership

d. Disease, obviously ---- Aids is a clear-cut case but also XDR TB which
has some crazy impacts and antibiotic resistance, which also has pretty huge
impacts

You can also claim competitiveness impacts from each individual industry.
For example on the energy topic there were cards that auto companies in teh
US get killed (probably true) b/c of high healthcare costs. You can get from
auto industry to military readiness/hard power. Computer/software industry
obviously has huge impacts.

OK, lets even go a step further ---- depending on how the topic is worded if
the aff can get to crushing pharmaceutical industry power the cards that big
pharma is bad for pretty much everything are awesome (they're total lies
written by filthy hippies, but big impacts).

This isn't to say a Russia topic would be bad. I think it would be awesome.
BUT I still favor healthcare. I think the literature is probably a bit
richer, the politics links are certainly better (which should decide
basically everything) and I really, REALLY don't want to hear a year of the
Medvedev disad. Like seriously, every foreign internal politics DA ever has
been totally terrible. If we do have a Russia topic we should nip that one
in the bud.

dylan