[eDebate] Nationals Proliferation

Darren Elliott delliott
Wed Apr 9 18:37:07 CDT 2008

ADA Nats also exists and has a JV and Novice Division.  So technically that makes 5 JV Nationals and 5 Novice Nationals.

I wish more people were like me and had to go off to Community College Nationals next week.  There would still be prepping going on.  Every year the downtime between the NDT and the Topic Meetings, this list proliferation is the worst kind of proliferation--and I usually fall on the prolif good side.

Eh.

the kinder, gentler Elliott

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
CEDA President

>>> <scottelliott at grandecom.net> 04/09/08 6:25 PM >>>
In my neverending need to raise peoples hackles, I submit the following:

Is it just me, or is it getting to the point of absurdity the number of
"National Championships" available in debate generally, and in policy debate
specifically. I know parly and forms thereof have at least three National
Champions. (There is even a "national champion" for a form of debate that only
people from Louisiana, Arkansas and East texas participate in. NEDA may still
exist, but I think their championship in West Texas was raided by the cops
outside of San Angelo.)

But for Policy, the national championship proliferation has spread, to my count
at least six. There may be more. But I noticed, for example, there were FOUR JV
national Championships this year. FOUR!

Maybe we need the representives of these "national championships" to come
together to create some consolidation. For example, the four JV level national
championship hosts (East Coast Novice/JV Nationals, West Coast JV/Novice
Nationals, NJDNDT, and the Freshman/Sophmore Nats) came come up with a rotation
plan so that we can all come together.

That and blowing up the NDT would make for a more harmonious policy debate
community.

Scott Elliott

p.s.

somebody had to say it