[eDebate] Knowing when NOT to debate

Ede Warner ewarner
Wed Apr 9 22:38:15 CDT 2008

Duane,

I respect where you finished in #7 and appreciate your willingness to
reflect Duane.  One of the areas I uniquely see what I perceive to be a
contradiction in the white world regarding race and other issues of
privilege, is the merit standard which generally says more experience,
more qualified.  But in the area of "isms" those suffering the most, are
usually not treated as the most qualified to create policies to reduce
the suffering.  It's almost an inverse relationship, the more suffering
you've experience, and especially when you speak about it, the less
qualified you are.  That's a problem to me.  Someone who has suffered
the most is likely to have the most potential for compassion for others
in pain.  Not always true aka Clarence Thomas.  But usually.

Your decision to conflate racism with institutional racism is where the
problem sits.  I can think of numerous examples where the action isn't
racist, everyone is treated the same, but the consequences are
disproportional.  Your examples "the water sign" all speak to
intentionality.  Unless we get past that hurdle, nothing productive can
happen.  My students at CEDA Nationals argued that MPJ was
institutionally racist and sexist because it disproportionately hurts
people of color and women.  I don't think that MPJ is racist or sexist
though.  Given that most consequences come from that institutional power
to make decisions that benefit onesself, society needs to be addressing
institutionalized forms of oppression.  Why?  Those are where the big
impacts are?

That's explains why Dayvon can see a lot of white aesthetic all around
him and you see little racism.  Your inability to acknowledge, see, or
respect what he sees will create further alienation, hostility, and
distance between you two.

Technically, by your definition, you are right.  By his, he is right.
The question is: does society have the right or is it in society's best
interest to ignore his definition or not treat it with just as much
resolve as yours?  You tell me...

Doc