[eDebate] Race and debaters.

David Glass gacggc
Thu Apr 10 07:10:31 CDT 2008

Hi Kade,

Your email resonated, because you touch on the issue that for me distorts
these frequent conversations
and discussions...  which is that in the current setting race" is being used
as an instrument to win debate rounds...  so  if there was an actual
concession that people were coming together, and that everyone did actually
did have their hearts in the correct place, then there would be no argument
left, and a strategic advantage would be lost.

To me it is somewhat amazing that there would be this intense set of
discussions after an all- African-American team won a major championship
using a non-traditional argument.

Let's think about that for a second.  These students won.   Now if there was
even a significant amount
of racism in the activity, one would expect that a team so-constituted would
be significantly disadvantaged when  even attempting to advance the usual,
accepted arguments.  But this team went much further - they competed using
approaches which are problematic for many judges and coaches on grounds of
debate theory, but were still victorious. So  when I listen to these
continued charges and counter-charges in that environment, I filiter the
discussion the following way:  "just because there was victory at CEDA,
doesn't mean we can't keep running this argument."  In other words, there is
a strategic need to rebuild the case, in order to continue the strategy.

I have a similar issue with the approach when I'm judging.  In that setting,
you have a situation where students are called together in a competitive
framework to affirm or negate the resolution, and as a *strategy* to win the
round, one team directly indicts the community, which of course includes the
opposing team and the judge, with racism.   This puts the judge in the
interesting position:  either she/he votes for the strategy, which endorses
the idea that there is systemic racism in the community, including the
judge, and that this needs to be recognized - or the judge votes the other
way, which from the specified perspective of the team that introduced the
argument, quite clearly labels the judge as a racist.

The way I deal with such a clearly loaded approach is to filter the
arguments for their strategic potential, and understand them on that level.
But as a child of the 60s, who grew up on 155th Street in New York City, and
who was dragged onto the picket lines in the NY City school wars by mom when
I was six,  I must say that for me there is a real real problem in having to
dissect the arguments for their truth-value versus the particular needs that
come in play when these approaches are brought into a competitive
environment, for the purpose of getting a win in a debate round.

So the only contribution I have to all of this is that it is useful to do
what we do - and to "unmask" all approaches in all their forms, to find
their purpose.   Let's not kid ourselves - every argument in a round is
about power, it is about gaining an advantage or precedence over the
opponent.    That understanding should be applied equally, to every
argument.

I dunno if that helps or not...

Good luck in your marathon (or is it half marathon?) coming up...

David