[eDebate] Race and debaters.

David Glass gacggc
Thu Apr 10 11:05:59 CDT 2008

Hi Ede,

I just want to address one of your points for now, so it can be focused on -
the idea that if a
Black debater does not bring up issues of race in a debate round he/she
might feel complicit
with institutional racism, and that this is the true and legitimate feeling
of the student.

Given that the subject of the round this year was quite explicitly the
Middle East, it is difficult
to avoid concluding from the report about the students' feeling that Black
students have to bring up race in any or all contexts or else feel guilty of
institutional racism.  For example, if a student is taking a gravitational
physics
course at Johns Hopkins, then she or he is obliged to stand up and start
talking about race, when
asked if he or she has a question, or else be judged as guilty.

You preempt this type of argument by saying debate is open to people
speaking about anything - but that simply is not the case. Topicality is
entrenched to make all debaters stick to one particular subject, so that
people can prepare for that subject.  For a debater to break out of that -
and as you say put themself at a competitive risk or potential disadvantage
- one must recapture a very strong competitive advantage, and this advantage
is achieved given a good debater, and a judge open to this approach. As long
as you have a judge willing to mitigate topicality in deference to these
arguments, the competitive advantage can be devastating to the opponent.

As long as we are talking about feelings, perhaps people can put themselves
in the shoes of the non-black debater who walks into a round prepared to
discuss the Middle East, and is instead called to account concerning
problems of institutional racism in the activity.   Similar to the judge's
dilemma previously delineated, the non-black student is now thrust in the
role of being the opponent to these claims, even if he or she may believe
the claims to be true.    Remembering the goal of the round is to win the
debate, the forced roles of the opponent and the judge become particularly
problematic.    I don't see how your particular suggested calculus for how
the judge decides the round escapes the central issue; deciding those issues
the other way, or debating on the other side of that calculus, is quite a
terrible thing to force on a judge or opponent-debater, and thus one both
appreciates tha argument as a strong strategy, and one deplores the approach
as a potentially extremely cynical way to win debates.

Anyway, I'm sure these points aren't a revelation to anyone...   I just
think the Counter-kritik here has to do with the problems that are inherent
in raising the issues to win a debate.  You've clearly grappled with this a
lot longer than I, from a strategic perspective...

best regards,
David