[eDebate] Future of Debate

MWBRYANT at aol.com MWBRYANT
Mon Apr 14 21:42:36 CDT 2008

In a message dated 4/14/2008 9:04:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ewarner at louisville.edu writes:

But hey, I'm just the paranoid fool who is prone to hyperbole because I
characterized my neighborhood in ways that Mike Bryant doesn't see.

1. You get mad when people add words to what you actually say.

2. I did not call you a fool, sir. Perhaps a bit paranoid and hyperbolic  for
characterizing a relatively safe ethnically-mixed neighborhood (one in which
you chose to place your family!!) as the home of the Klan. But, please, do
not  show me the disrespect of manipulating my words simply for the sake of
your own rhetorical strategies.

Dr. Warner I respect you, your academic achievements, coaching
accomplishments and even your obvious intellect. What I don't really  respect is your
unwillingness to take the step from playing games in debate  rounds to actual
social activism. When race riots break out in Louisville,  as they have within
recent times in such nearby cities as Cincinnati and  Indianapolis, I'm sure you
will have the comfort of pointing out that you saw it  coming. And I'm also
sure that you and your family will be relatively safe in  the "Klan" neighborhood
of Okolona.

I, too, am often dismayed at the slow progress of social and cultural
evolution. Labeling Okolona, however, as the home of the Klan is as openly  racist
as calling the West End the home of heroin addicts and drive-by shooters.  Want
to weigh probabilities? While I am no fan of Confederate flags, do you
really think every white Southerner with a Confederate flag is a Klansman? When
have you ever seen a Klansman who wasn't on the U of L campus?

Yes, sir, your embrace of hyperbole far exceeds any real embrace of either
activism or coalition-building.

Your other insinuations don't deserve a response.

Bear
Okolona-Highview, KY

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)