[eDebate] Future of Debate

Ede Warner ewarner
Mon Apr 14 22:11:26 CDT 2008

Mike,

I will address your point more specifically because I need to take full responsibility for my actions.  But you stand in error for claiming that the only Klan existence was on the campus.  There have been at least 3 rallies downtown in my 15 years here, I attended two of them.  A house of open white supremacists lived in a house on 2nd street in Old Louisville and were charged with killing a man literally one block from our home, at first and st. catherine, leaving behind graffiti all over the corner, the summer before last.  Finally, while I never saw them, I received several phone calls to my house from folks saying they were the Klan inviting me to "debate" them in the basement of one of their brothers, and received Klan literature at my home at Brook and St. Catherine for almost six months after I publicly opposed their presence on the campus.

While I can't prove that there are several Klan members in the Okolona/Bullitt County there is a recent history of activity in the area.
That said, my rhetoric was inflammatory and unnecessary general.  But Mike, be careful what allegations you toss, because you clearly don't know me and it's obvious you don't know the recent history of the Klan in the city that you feel I unfair target.

Ede

From: <MWBRYANT at aol.com>
To:<e0warn01 at gwise.louisville.edu>
CC:<edebate at ndtceda.com>
Date: 4/14/2008 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Future of Debate

In a message dated 4/14/2008 9:04:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ewarner at louisville.edu writes:

But hey, I'm just the paranoid fool who is prone to hyperbole because I characterized my neighborhood in ways that Mike Bryant doesn't see.

1. You get mad when people add words to what you actually say.

2. I did not call you a fool, sir. Perhaps a bit paranoid and hyperbolic for characterizing a relatively safe ethnically-mixed neighborhood (one in which you chose to place your family!!) as the home of the Klan. But, please, do not show me the disrespect of manipulating my words simply for the sake of your own rhetorical strategies.

Dr. Warner I respect you, your academic achievements, coaching accomplishments and even your obvious intellect. What I don't really respect is your unwillingness to take the step from playing games in debate rounds to actual social activism. When race riots break out in Louisville, as they have within recent times in such nearby cities as Cincinnati and Indianapolis, I'm sure you will have the comfort of pointing out that you saw it coming. And I'm also sure that you and your family will be relatively safe in the "Klan" neighborhood of Okolona.

I, too, am often dismayed at the slow progress of social and cultural evolution. Labeling Okolona, however, as the home of the Klan is as openly racist as calling the West End the home of heroin addicts and drive-by shooters. Want to weigh probabilities? While I am no fan of Confederate flags, do you really think every white Southerner with a Confederate flag is a Klansman? When have you ever seen a Klansman who wasn't on the U of L campus?

Yes, sir, your embrace of hyperbole far exceeds any real embrace of either activism or coalition-building.

Your other insinuations don't deserve a response.

Bear
Okolona-Highview, KY

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance ( http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850 ).