[eDebate] Future of Debate

MWBRYANT at aol.com MWBRYANT
Mon Apr 14 23:36:58 CDT 2008

In a message dated 4/14/2008 11:12:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ewarner at louisville.edu writes:

Mike,

I will address your point more specifically because I need to take full
responsibility for my actions.  But you stand in error for claiming that  the only
Klan existence was on the campus.  There have been at least 3  rallies
downtown in my 15 years here, I attended two of them.  A house of  open white
supremacists lived in a house on 2nd street in Old Louisville and  were charged with
killing a man literally one block from our home, at first  and st. catherine,
leaving behind graffiti all over the corner, the summer  before last.
Finally, while I never saw them, I received several phone  calls to my house from
folks saying they were the Klan inviting me to "debate"  them in the basement of
one of their brothers, and received Klan literature at  my home at Brook and
St. Catherine for almost six months after I publicly  opposed their presence
on the campus.

1. I guess there was a news blackout on this. Can you send me any reference
to this murder in the Courier-Journal (though you probably perceive the CJ to
be  a racist rag)?

2. Irrelevant. That was downtown. Not in Okolona. My point was that  you were
being hyperbolic suggesting that Okolona was home of the  Klan.

3. More about your response to Klan harassment below.

While I can't prove that there are several Klan members in the
Okolona/Bullitt County there is a recent history of activity in the area.

That history is very old. The only activity I can find any reference to in
SCLC Klanwatch data is nearly 15 years ago and in Sheperdsville, which is
significantly south of Okolona. Admittedly, twenty years ago Bullitt County used
to post signs telling blacks to stay out. But those days have changed. There
is  a significant and growing population of African-Americans throughout
Bullitt  County. And Bullitt County is not Okolona.

That said, my rhetoric was inflammatory and unnecessary general.   But Mike,
be careful what allegations you toss, because you clearly don't know  me and
it's obvious you don't know the recent history of the Klan in the city  that
you feel I unfair target.

I think the story of your personal responses to Klan intimidation  has pretty
clearly emerged from various posts to several different threads.
Unfortunately, I now fear that Klan backlash against your public network  media attempt
to debate them has caused you to overvalue bureaucratic  efforts to convince
you to tone any real activism down. I think you have been  persuaded to do this
by manipulation of your fears for the safety of both  your family and your
team. (Which, of course, is a large part of the reason you  moved your family to
the comparative safety of Okolona!)

Look, the simple fact is that the Klan is essentially inactive in
Louisville. The nearest active chapter is in Bowling Green, Kentucky in  western
Kentucky. Even there, they are hardly viewed as a threat. Even most  racist whites
look on the Klan in Kentucky as a collection of total fools. The  biggest threat
they represent is to their own members and sundry  associates.

The Klan is not the threat that Blacks face in Louisville. The real threat
is the absolute refusal of most whites to entertain any conception of white
privilege, much less addressing what should be done about it. Your choice to
avoid public advocacy to protect the ones you love is understandable, but is
still unfortunate. I think your team could do tons to help make people think
about things they don't want to think about. I know you think you believe you
are ending the game metaphor of debate, but all you're doing is attempting to
re-define the rules of the game. Coalition-building should take precedence
over  any fear of the Klan. They're not enough of a threat to start seeing them
behind  every Confederate flag.

But, you are a nice guy. Good luck. It sounds like you may live near the
backside of the giant subdivision that my parents live in. They enter from
Cooper Chapel, but there's another entrance on Mt. Washington Road. If you see a
fat white guy waving at you, relax, it's not the Klan.

If Okolona was really the home of the Klan, I know you wouldn't have moved
your family to the neighborhood.

Bear
Okolona-Highview, KY

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)