[eDebate] Yet more apologies aka That Closet is Really Dirty

JP Lacy lacyjp
Wed Apr 16 00:34:42 CDT 2008

My second apology extends to one in particular but a group of folks that
taught me debate coaching, debate strategy, and shared the experiences
that lay the foundation for what I became.  The Wake Forest Demon
Deacons won the NDT and in the midst of the Towson discussion, few are
remembering and/or celebrating their accomplishment.  I want to
personally congratulate Ross, All, the staff and all of the debaters.
The artificial distinction that Louisville and Wake don't share "debate"
is as much hyperbole and stereotype as any of the others I've apologized
for.

I should have written this long ago.

First, very late congratulations to Towson for a well deserved CEDA
victory and a great NDT.

Second, thanks to Ede for his congratulations. He's right. We share
debate. I mean that in the greatest sense of "share" that I can. I love
this thing we do.

Third: Does "trash talk" about Towson diminish Wake's victory at the NDT?

Yes.

Very, Very Much.

It did & it does.

It is an insult to the game, to Towson CL, and an insult to all the
great competitors who gave their best against them at CEDA and the NDT.

At the end of the day, Towson CL had the best arguments to win the
national championship.

No one has ever won a national championship by underestimating their
opponents. The trash talking needs to stop and the preparation needs to
begin.

--JP

ps-Yes, I know, most of the "backlash" was stupid casual talk. But,
Towson proved by clearing at the NDT that their arguments were far
better than "casual talk."

pps-Congrats again to Towson CL!! Ede (sort of) implied that Wake's win
at the NDT was drowned out by controversy over y'alls CEDA win. I don't
care what A Ryan has to say about CEDA. Celebrate your win again and
again!!!!