[eDebate] Reparations = Bad Neg ground?

Jonathan Karlin jonathanrkarlin
Thu Apr 17 01:44:26 CDT 2008

I will preface this by saying I am not well versed in the reparations
literature but here are a few concerns of mine in the context of
ground for the negative.

1. All the negative arguments you have brought up are either  a.)
defensive in nature (yes I understand this will link into your K of
using apocalyptic imagery), b.) only critical-esque arguments

2. I can't think of many policy arguments that legitimate link-
Spending DA?  The politics DA?

I think you might be correct that AFF bias is overstated but in the
world of a left leaning community, I think the aff has a pretty big
step up. Also there is little to no AFF flexibility in terms of
picking advantage areas or affirmatives- why not draft a bigger topic
that gives teams the choice to read more left affs or more right affs.
The reparations topic is fundamentally one affirmative with one
advantage. (I hope this is not offensive, I am not trying to minimize
racism etc)

Freedom for the AFF= good. It spurs creativity, innovation and
research. The reparations topic does not provide avenues for either of
these things.

Russia or Intell Reform.