[eDebate] Reparations = Bad Neg ground?

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Thu Apr 17 02:40:33 CDT 2008

hello jonathan,

some answers, i dont have cards for these things right now because i am in
travel mode (damn speech team), but i will try to include them all in the
paper

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Jonathan Karlin <jonathanrkarlin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I will preface this by saying I am not well versed in the reparations
> literature but here are a few concerns of mine in the context of
> ground for the negative.

I  think alot of people are not well versed, and i shared many of your
concerns as it related to debate before i really got into the depth of the
literature...even that being said, there is still alot more for me to
cover...i think learning about it is one of the benefits of the topic

> 1. All the negative arguments you have brought up are either  a.)
> defensive in nature (yes I understand this will link into your K of
> using apocalyptic imagery),

I don't think so, i think most of the strategies are cp net benefit
strategies that accept the yes/no question and focus on the how question.
For example an aff that uses money as the means of providing reparations
links to an econ da(with impacts that turn the solvency of the case), a
criticism of money transfer versus wealth transfer that comes specifically
from the reparations literature(this provides offense & solvency takeouts),
and a counterplan to build institutions. The competition debate focuses on
the econ da(if we hand over a bunch of money there is less to build the
institutions with, plus given the current political climate the money is
likely to trade off with existing policies that provide day to day services)
This is just one strategy, ill talk about more below.

> b.) only critical-esque arguments

No. And the place where i disagree is "only". This topic fuses ethical,
political, moral (critical) questions with policy questions. For example it
may be an ethical question to ask, what is the right way to remedy the
ongoing ills of slavery, is it right to impose collective responsibility on
people who may not have contributed to the problem? But when put into
practice the answers to these ethical questions must be filtered through the
policy, for example one may say yes to both of those questions, but then one
must deal with the policy implications of those questions...imposing
collective responsibility may regardless of the ethical concerns spur the
growth of backlash movements that make solvency almost impossible. Should we
push through that backlash anyway despite its pragmatic consequences of
potentially undermine its own goals? Thats a good debate. In fact thats what
i think makes it such a good debate because it forces you to compare those
situations aside from the absolute priority questions that current debates
about racial justice are often channeled into.

> 2. I can't think of many policy arguments that legitimate link-
> Spending DA?  The politics DA?

ABSOLUTLY these two positions work. So does federalism, a variety of
modeling arguments, some WOT positions, some hege positions....there are
solid links to these positions...imagine for a second that 3 trillion
dollers (a low estimate) was spent compensating mexican americans for the
annexation/war against  mexico. Even i could cut a econ or politics da that
linked to that, if you couldnt find the card, you could assert the link and
almost no one would win a no link arg against you, the question would be is
it worth it...which gets you back in to the question above.

> I think you might be correct that AFF bias is overstated but in the
> world of a left leaning community, I think the aff has a pretty big
> step up.

I think a neg bias exists now largely because the aff doesnt have a good way
to leverage against things out of the literature base they get limited down
to...The reparations topic solves this...is racial justice worth it if a) it
cant solve it legitimately risks crashing the us economy? some say yes some
say no, but most people who write in the literature base recognize that it
might be a logical conclusion to draw from their work so they answer it, are
those answers good enough? Perhaps, perhaps not? but its a good debate.

> Also there is little to no AFF flexibility in terms of
> picking advantage areas or affirmatives- why not draft a bigger topic
> that gives teams the choice to read more left affs or more right affs.
> The reparations topic is fundamentally one affirmative with one
> advantage. (I hope this is not offensive, I am not trying to minimize
> racism etc)

I think this topic has good aff flex ground, first  there are multiple
injustices to  attempt to  remedy, and there are multiple ways to remedy
those situations, the debate about asian american exclusion laws is vastly
different than the debate about trans-african slavery is vastly different
than the debate about indiginous dispossession. If the aff says racism bad
and nothing more complex than that, i would imagine they would lose far more
than an aff who says racism bad on the russia topic.
Second the complexity and the flexibility lies in how the differential
legacies of racist American nation construction are undone...

> Freedom for the AFF= good. It spurs creativity, innovation and
> research. The reparations topic does not provide avenues for either of
> these things.
>
> Russia or Intell Reform.

Reparations, russia or intell reform would be better topics in the future if
we spent a year discussing america