[eDebate] Reparations = Bad Neg ground?

matt stannard stannardmatt
Thu Apr 17 06:36:49 CDT 2008

The idea that a problem area with a strong normative direction is bad for negative ground is a fallacy I've heard from time to time for at least twelve years.  Ultimately it's a reductio ad adbsurdum that makes all powerful impacts "unfair" because apparently the only consistent and fair ground for Scott and others is impact turns.  The objection is selectively applied in the case of "emotionally compelling" impacts (perhaps the real, unstated objection is that a disproportionate number of judges will vote for the first team in each debate to talk about racism) but could really apply to anything.  This fallacy is the first cousin to another fallacy, the assumption that if stuff is really important and timely, we shouldn't debate about it.

I am not taking a position yet on which area I like best, but this type of objection to a topic area has long irritated my obviously keen sensibilities.

mjs

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:40:33 -0400From: andy.edebate at gmail.comTo: jonathanrkarlin at gmail.comCC: edebate at ndtceda.com; nicholas.brady89 at gmail.comSubject: Re: [eDebate] Reparations = Bad Neg ground?hello jonathan,some answers, i dont have cards for these things right now because i am in travel mode (damn speech team), but i will try to include them all in the paper