[eDebate] Reparations-reply to Warner

Thu Apr 17 10:47:53 CDT 2008

Not at all Ede. I even pointed out on the education reform topic discussion how
minority students are being harmed by standardized testing. My students in
argumentation classes have been debating this all semester. But, and this is
the key issue, there is a balance of arguments as to why mandatory testing is
necessary, and even net beneficial for minorities.

Urban renewal/social services programs. The same type of balance is there. Even
the genetic engineering topic has a balance of arguments on issues involving
race and gender.

So, no Ede, I do not think I am trying to exclude race from all debates. There
is no speculation on my part regarding reparations. I have done the research in
response to cases that have called for versions of reparations. I am not the end
all be all of research, but I do know what I see is that the literature that is
specific to reparations is overwhelmingly affirmative. Very few authors who
would oppose it would even consider writing responses.

Ede, we can agree that harms are bad. Slavery is bad. Rape is Bad. Stealing land
is bad. The issue is whether you can have a year long sustainable topic that is
balanced. Depending on how defines "reparations," which, by the way, means "The
act or process of repairing or the condition of being repaired.
The act or process of making amends; expiation.
Something done or paid to compensate or make amends.
reparations Compensation or remuneration required from a defeated nation as
indemnity for damage or injury during a war."
(http://www.answers.com/topic/reparation);  any attempt to right past wrongs
constitutes reparations.

I guess if people want plan vs. plan-plan and plan vs. plan-plus debates, this
topic is fine. I just do not find it appealing.