[eDebate] Arms Control

Jason Russell jasonlrussell1
Sun Apr 20 15:32:52 CDT 2008

Weapons proliferation was in the China topic. Tactical nuclear weapons were
in the Europe topic. The treaties topic was practically an entire topic
about the CTBT. And, this year, the Iran aff was often primarily about
weapons proliferation. It is an overused topic trope. And, Im not sure if
Stone missed this, but Russia has a lot of nuclear weapons. In fact, they
have about 1/2 of them. So, bilateral coop with Russia could easily be ON
the issue of weapons prolif. In fact, I wouldnt be shocked if it were
built into the topic (in the form of coop on weapons dismantling,
verification of arms control agreements, including but not limited to test
bans, tech sharing for non-nuclear weapons which smoothe the transition from
nuclear weapons). The advantage of Russia vs. other topics is that there is
more flexibility for affs who DONT want to only talk about nuclear weapons
issues and/or military issues. This topic does not require that we only talk
about strategic issues, but could include things like the environment, human
rights, and economic issues that may give the topic some broader appeal.
Everything thats "good" about a Latin America topic (come on, surely you by
now know that this topic can not win) is more good about a Russia topic
because it is instead about big, sexy Russia. And has solvency advocacy (did
you *read* the paper? can you, in fact, read, period). This post is mean bc
Stone is smelly and gross and deserves it. Also, I am in many ways aroused
by the Russia topic and as a result want to crush it's resistors as the
Motherland would.