[eDebate] gen eng as topic if leaning domestic

Mon Apr 21 13:45:57 CDT 2008

In the topic paper I discuss the implications of the terms "ban," "regulate" and
"restrict." Please take a look at it. I think you may like the various potential
debates that could occur if it is chosen.

In a nutshell, I think "restrict" is the best term. I think the best limit is to
add the term "...through legislation, regulation or formal international
agreement." Others may prefer "...through legislation, regulation, and/or
international agreement."

Why? Because just a generic term to "restrict" opens up the possibility of
affirmatives running all types of solvency mechanisms such as Supreme Court
decsisions and First Strikes via executive orders.

People may want to give the affirmative that much leeway, but I think the topic
is more balanced and predictable using these limiters. Primarily, this is how
the majority of the topic literature suggests restricting forms of genetic
engineering.

Scott