[eDebate] Why not just mirror the high school topic?

Tara Tate tara_l_tate
Wed Apr 23 15:10:11 CDT 2008

There is an immense downside from a high school perspective, especially those with small programs.  To have the high school and college topic mirror one another means that the resource intensive high schools will have a further advantage because we can just hire more college debaters/coaches.

It also seems counterproductive from a high school educator's standpoint.  Fewer high school students would be doing original research if all the research necessary could be bought from the local college/university.  Although many of you may say "so what?...it is just high school", the inability to foster research skills in our high school debaters means lower quality college debates in the future when these skill-lacking kiddos enter your institutions.  It may mean more in-depth debate when GBS is reading a bunch of NU arguments (not saying that would really happen...), but it would be a bunch of debates where the kids don't fully understand the arguments since they did not produce them.

There also may be bigger powers that be that may step in to prevent such an "experiment"...Jonathan Paul and I were slated to write a Middle East topic paper for consideration for the 2008-2009 season two years ago.  We were halfway through the writing process when the college community voted on it for their 2007-2008 season.  The National Federation of High Schools yanked the paper from final writing/consideration since it would be too close to the college topic, even with a *year* separation.Tara Tate
Glenbrook South
President, National Debate Coaches Association

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:57:40 -0500> From: scottelliott at grandecom.net> To: edebate at ndtceda.com> Subject: [eDebate] Why not just mirror the high school topic?> > The energy topic is better than Russia, that is a given.> > Just broaching the subject for discussion.> > The upside would be reducing the overall workload of students and coaches who> have to research for two camps and two topics under the current system. Better> depth of argumentation. More interaction with high school debate.> > There are some downsides such as more interaction with high school debate.> > It would be an interesting experiment for a year.> > Scott Elliott> > > _______________________________________________> eDebate mailing list> eDebate at www.ndtceda.com> http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate
Back to work after baby?how do you know when you?re ready?
http://lifestyle.msn.com/familyandparenting/articleNW.aspx?cp-documentid=5797498&ocid=T067MSN40A0701A