[eDebate] Fwd: Joe on Agriculture

J T jtedebate
Fri Apr 25 10:49:32 CDT 2008

sorry for the last one...cat walked across computer...

The Dec. Energy Bill gave out massive subsidies for ethanol production...shouldn't this guard against UQ issues to a large degree?

J T <jtedebate at yahoo.com> wrote: I'm not sure which subsidies are discussed (been MIA on this discussion), but the December Energy Bill gave out

Calum Matheson <u.hrair at gmail.com> wrote: I would just like to point out that last time I knew the Farm Bill had not passed.  I know there were discussions of inherency/uniqueness for disads on Russia because of some evidence indicating the US was/is trying to cooperate with Russia on missile defense.  Well I am sure that whatever Farm Bill does eventually pass the Congress and gets signed into law this scenario is even more troubling for affirmatives:

1)  If there is a reduction in subsidies in the Farm Bill all uniqueness is done (Econ and politics as well as food prices, etc).
2)  If the farm bill passes during the year, very likely, and you then debate a plan that reverses the policy a week  after the bill passed there would seem to be a rather strong link  and uniqueness to politics.  My guess is that affirmative win percentage for the next 2 or 3 tournaments would be close to zero.
 3)  If the Farm Bill passes a lot of affirmatives could just disappear overnight (this was true on the treaties topic, but everyone knew the CTBT and ICC would never pass).

There are a couple other things I would like to mention

1) I know this has been mentioned by others, but the US did try and get reduction of subsidies at Doha (I do not know how hard it tried; was it like the "we will cooperate with Russia on missile defense" evidence or something tangible?), but it does make global solvency and uniqueness just as problematic as is claimed on the Russia topic.
 2)  I am not sure why Russia would pose a unique problem of squirrelly cases, that seems to depend on the wording.  For example, if the topic were "The USFG should  substantially reduce food subsidies" there could potentially be hundreds of cases and if the resolution was "The USFG should cooperate with Russia on current ABM,  the chechen conflict, and /or  Start III" the topic would be rather limited.

I could be wrong and maybe the Farm Bill has now passed, but i believe it is in limbo and will be that way until after the elections, which means there will be many cards written about subsidies, etc, but it also means that the ground is relatively unstable because no one knows quite what will happen.

Just to so everyone knows my bias (I am not a current debater); I think the Russia topic is the best, but if a domestic topic wins I think health care would be the most timely, relevant, and provide stable ground (even if Hillary wins it is unlikely she will be able to reform health care in 4 months.  However, I will not defend the impact scenarios would be particularly sexy for health care.

Just my 4  cents (adjusted for inflation).

Thank you,

eDebate mailing list
eDebate at www.ndtceda.com

JT