[eDebate] Right, *Russia* is at the core of everything

Tom Meagher meagher.tom
Fri Apr 25 20:25:16 CDT 2008

I've been around debate long enough to understand the issues Travis is
pointing out. I'm not making any claims that poor use of research is unique
to racism, coloniality, etc. I've judged plenty of cringe-inducing debates
where debaters conflated "realism" with "considering nuclear war impacts,"
and so forth. I don't at all agree with your "at least as egregious" claim,
but that's not a big issue.

But is there really an argument that the top level of debaters understands
a) IR and b) US-Russia relations to a lesser extent than it understands the
body of literature on racism and decolonial theory? Bad debate arguments
happen at every level. I am contending not that bad research is occurring. I
am contending that there is a maldistribution of research content in the
debate community, and asking if the opponents of the reparations topic are
contesting this claim or merely find it insignificant.

I don't doubt that it's generally easy to separate debate skills to a large
extent so that they do not interfere with scholarly pursuits. I'm not
indicting debate wholesale, and I owe so much to it that to do so would be
ridiculous. But debate and its techniques were decidedly NOT easy for me to
put aside in my academic experiences, and as a white student in the Ethnic
Studies department I do truly feel that my education would have been greatly
compromised had I continued in debate, and it was very often compromised by
elements of my debate training (and bolstered by others; there was good and
bad, but the bad reasons were much more specific  to my pursuits than the
good reasons). It is difficult to relate in this forum the thoughts and
painful experiences that led me to understand that; maybe I will some time.
But surely it should be relatively easy for members of the debate community
to see that, as it is presently constructed, it is much easier for an IR
student to use debate to advance their scholarship than an Ethnic Studies
student. If debaters are willing to defend that that is good, that is
another discussion. And if it can be demonstrated that IR and Ethnic Studies
are of equal value (I'm sure we both disagree somewhat for opposing
reasons), and if it can be demonstrated that debate bolsters students in one
field and impairs students in another, it's reasonable to suggest that
accounting for this disparity should be a goal in topic construction, right?