[eDebate] ans Meagher re evolution

Sat Apr 26 18:17:38 CDT 2008

here, http://www.ndtceda.com/pipermail/edebate/2008-April/075022.html, meagher writes, "Man sees its own narrative capacity as functioning as a teleological adaptation."

funny, i see things exactly that way (without believing in 'Man' per se).

our language-faculty is wonderful, and our capacity to make up stories isn't incidental to what(ever) it means to be human. we don't tell stories just to entertain ourselves; we tell stories because our lives already have something of a narrative form; we are beings in time.

not everything that comes under the heading of 'teleology' is necessarily a claim to superiority. sometimes it's a claim to value. my dog may have feelings, may suffer, and given that, any cruelty directed toward her may be unethical. but nothing i've seen leads me to believe she can tell a good story. but you can. that makes you and others like you special.

and i insist that this difference - our narrative capacity - be respected by all other beings we may encounter in the universe.
it's a teleology worth fighting for.

http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL