[eDebate] 2008 Showdown

Sat Aug 2 17:21:42 CDT 2008

This sad (worse than I heard) episode is the logical conclusion of a few things:
I am shocked charges were not brought against SHanahan for battery.

1) Issues that happen before a round starts being brought into the round as a
voting issue;

2) Topicality not being a voting issue

3) People using debate as a forum of personal advocacy rather than an exercise
of research and argumentation about policy issues.

4) No enforcebale standards of conduct within this organization.

It is what it is. It will only get worse in the coming years.

Scott Elliott