[eDebate] defending debate

M G malgorthewarrior
Wed Aug 13 14:40:02 CDT 2008

Are you kidding me? Get ready to defend yourself?  When a fight breaks out at a football game no one has to defend the sport.  When a ref gets caught cheating in basketball no one has to defend the sport.  When a professor gets caught sexually harassing a student no one has to defend academia.

What happened was the exception, not the norm.  I'm sure if you convey that to your administrator, she/he will probably understand that debate isn't a mooning contest.  There is no reason that 1 person doing something controversial is all the sudden a reflection on 'normal' debate.

If every activity had to justify its entire existence based on an exceptional moment, rather than its norms, there wouldn't be any activities left.  We've had debaters get completely naked, we curse like sailors, drinking is rampant at any given tournament, and a good chunk of directors drive a van full of debaters for 10 hours on 4 hours of sleep.  These are all events that are just as "bad" that happen often, and they don't threaten the activity.

I feel like we will survive a mooning.  If the worst example of bad behavior I ever saw in college was a dude's ass I might be in a better spot right now.

LIGHT YOUR TORCHES.  GET YOUR PITCHFORKS, WE MUST FIND THE NEXT PERSON TO OUTCAST.

malgor

Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108587394/direct/01/