[eDebate] "Inaccuracies" in coverage

Jay Hawk ostertaglives
Thu Aug 14 10:58:39 CDT 2008

For an activity that thrives on selective quotations (freed from the context that gives them meaning) (a practice I have no problem with), nobody should be surprised by inaccuracies in media coverage.

Debate is not interesting enough to the average person to warrant the type of detailed fact-checking that some folks seem to think is proper.

Irrespective of whether it should have been done, once this video went on youtube, the debate community lost the ability to control this story.  Luckily, it will likely just fizzle out with minimal damage done. It is the way we are willing to treat and talk with each other, and not the story, that I think we should be concerned with.