[eDebate] NDCA Open Evidence Access project

Tara Tate tara_l_tate
Fri Aug 15 10:54:07 CDT 2008

The National Debate Coaches Association Open Access Evidence website is now available.  We are still busy uploading files to the website but we wanted to get the url out as quickly as possible.  We appreciate your patience ? we added a lot of features this year to make the website more user-friendly.
You can find us at http://openev.debatecoaches.org.  We are also excited to report that the NDCA will have a new website soon, including a national caselist wiki, at http://www.debatecoaches.org.  Details on the new website will be forthcoming!

This website will feature over a thousand files from summer high school institutes in both policy and LD for your squad's use throughout the season.  Please pass this information on to any debate coach in your district.

First, we owe a huge thanks to NDCA Vice-President Mike Bietz and Brandon Sheats from Georgia Forensics with their help on this project.  Bietz gave us the debatecoaches.org domain and both Mike and Brandon put in an immense amount of hours getting the website ready.

Also, thanks needs to be extended to the NDCA Board for the time in uploading the files to the website.  As with any NDCA project, the individuals do this on top of their coaching/teaching/lab leading responsibilities.  Also, Aaron Timmons from Greenhill School should still continue to receive credit since this was his brainchild from NDCA Board emails last June.

Below are some helpful FAQs to help navigate your way through this website:

1 ? How do I search for files?One of the perks of our new system is the variety of ways that you can find files.  You can just scroll through the posts (each file is uploaded as a ?post?).  You can click on the category on the side of the screen to either view files by institute OR by argument category.  You can also just ?search? for a file in the search toolbox at the top.  Brandon also tells me that after Google indexes the entire site, you'll be able to search inside files.

2- Do I need a password like last year?Simply, no.

3 ? How do I know when new files are being posted since files will continually be uploaded the next few weeks?There are a few ways.  First, the files are listed as posts with the most recent posts being shown on the homepage.  Coming to the homepage each day will show you the latest posts.

You can also subscribe to RSS feeds and email alerts if you would like to be notified when new files are posted.

4 ? How do I show my appreciation for this resource?

Attend one of the institutes that agreed to donate their files.

Become a member of the NDCA.  As always, every resource that the NDCA provides is free of charge to the community.  We run our projects on the good will of many in the community.  However, if you find that our resources make an impact on your program, a simple $25.00 annual membership fee is a great way to continue the viability of this organization.  A membership form is attached?this is also a good reminder to renew for the 2008-2009 school year!

We had a huge growth in college coaches and institutions join the NDCA last year.  You can join when you sign-up for your other professional organizations on the AFA website as well as the attached form.

5 ? When I search for a file, it only shows one result.  What gives?You should see a link that says ?Older Posts? above the result.  You can scroll through the ?Older Posts? and find all of the results.

6 ? I have questions.  Who do I email?Your first line of defense is Tara Tate at ttate at glenbrook.k12.il.us.  If I can?t answer your question, I will try to find someone that can.

Here are the institutes who participated for the 2008?2009 school year?if you see an institute here but there files are not uploaded, come visit the website in the near future!NORTHWESTERN ZAREFSKY SCHOLARS INSTITUTE (policy)UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN WORKSHOPS (policy and LD)MIAMI (OH) INSTITUTES (policy)UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN DEBATE INSTITUTES (policy)VICTORY BRIEFS (LD)DARTMOUTH DEBATE INSTITUTES (policy)MISSOURI STATE DEBATE INSTITUTES (policy)UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS ? JAYHAWK DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy)UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND NATIONAL DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy and LD)UNIVERSITY OF IOWA (policy and LD)UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-BERKELEY (policy)WHITMAN NATIONAL DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy and LD)MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY ? SPARTAN DEBATE INSTITUTES (policy)UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY DEBATE INSTITUTES (policy)BAYLOR DEBATE WORKSHOPS (policy)STANFORD NATIONAL FORENSIC INSTITUTE (policy and LD)KENTUCKY NATIONAL DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy and LD)SAMFORD DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy)EMORY NATIONAL DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy)COMET DEBATE INSTITUTE ? UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-DALLAS (policy)WOMEN?S DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy and LD)UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR FORENSICS (policy)COLLOQUIUM FOR ACADEMIC DEBATE (LD)GONZAGA DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy)CAMERON UNIVERSITY DEBATE INSTITUTE (policy)
Best,
Tara L. Tate
President, National Debate Coaches Association
Director, Glenbrook South High School (IL)
Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with Windows?.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588800/direct/01/