[eDebate] Prevention at Vermont

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Sat Aug 16 10:35:35 CDT 2008

When my administration asks me about the events in the news, I will say
that we have an excellent record of behaving ourselves. I will also
indicate that I have circulated the statement below to all of our
debaters and staff.

Tuna

    Members and staff of the Lawrence Debate Union represent the
    University of Vermont at academic events all over the nation and the
    world. As such, they are expected to act in a professional and
    polite manner. Disagreement should always be respectful.

    Professional and polite conduct is expected of all participating in
    any events, at UVM and on the road.

    We have a wonderful record of representing UVM, but our policies
    should be clear. If you have questions about what is professional
    and polite behavior please feel to ask the director, Alfred Snider.

    Because of events at other schools I want to remind you of some of
    the regulations found in the UVM student handbook about the behavior
    of those in the university community.

     >From http://www.uvm.edu/%7Euvmppg/ppg/student/studentcode.pdf

        2) Threatening or causing non-physical abuse of or abusive
        behavior toward another person, including, but not limited to,
        verbal or written statements that constitute a form of
        expression unprotected by law, such as obscenity, fighting
        words, or defamation. Non- physical abuse means psychological
        abuse or abusive behavior through oral or written statements
        that are intended or could reasonably be foreseen to cause
        disruption, embarrassment, humiliation, shame, fright, grief, or
        intimidation.

        12) Elimination of bodily fluids or waste, such as urine, feces,
        vomit, or blood, in places or receptacles not designed for
        receipt of such substances.

        13) Indecent exposure, including ?flashing? and all exposure
        prohibited by Vermont law.

        3) Classroom Disruption Offenses. Students who engage in
        behavior that disrupts a classroom, laboratory, or other
        environment in which educational or research activity takes
        place may be subject to disciplinary action under this Code.
        Disruptive classroom conduct means engaging in behavior that
        substantially or repeatedly interrupts either the instructor?s
        ability to teach or student learning. For purposes of this
        provision, the classroom extends to any setting where a student
        is involved in work toward academic credit or satisfaction of
        program-based requirements or related activities.

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics