[eDebate] 53rd Annual Pflaum Debates -- Emporia Invite

Samuel Maurer chairman.maurer
Tue Aug 19 13:41:58 CDT 2008

Dear Community,

 On behalf of Emporia State University, the Department of Communication and
Theatre, and Hornet Debate, it is my privilege to invite you to the
53rd Annual George R. R. Pflaum Debate Tournament in Emporia, KS. The
tournament will be held October 18th through the 20th, 2008 with
Registration at one of the tournament hotels, Holiday Inn Express, on
October 18th.

 We are pleased to be offering 6 rounds of debate in Open, Junior Varsity
and novice divisions. We know many prefer an 8 round format, however, we
believe that a 6 round format encourages wellness (and sleep). Final round
schedule will depend on entries and facilities. We will make every effort
to keep divisions separate, but again, divisions are entry dependent.
A final schedule will follow closer to the tournament date.

 We believe we offer a fine slate of competition in the Midwest tradition,
as well as great hospitality, as some of you who have been here before can
attest. We will continue that hospitality and then some.

  We do hope you will join us here in October to help celebrate our
tournament.

Sincerely,

Sam Maurer
Director of Debate
smaurer at emporia.edu
(620) 341-5705 office
(509) 270-1507 cell

James Taylor
Assistant Director of Debate

LODGING INFORMATION - MAKE RESERVATIONS SOON.

TOURNAMENT HOTELS ? Tournament hotels ? We have blocks at the same
price at the Fairfield and Holiday Inn.  Those hotels are adjacent and
we anticipate no one having to stay anywhere else based on how many
rooms we've had blocked in the past.  Please make reservations at the
Fairfield first; the hotels are virtually identical except the
Fairfield block closes first.  DO NOT SMOKE IN ROOMS: they charge you
$250 PER DAY if they think you smoked in a room at the Fairfield.
Fairfield Block Closes September 17th, Holiday Inn Block Closes
September 26th.  $79

The Holiday Inn Express - 2921 W 18th Avenue (620) 341-9393 $79.00
Fairfield ? 2930 W Eagle Crest Dr (620) 342-4445 $79.00

These hotels are adjacent to one another.  For those of you who have
been here before, you know the Fairfield as the hotel that is
connected to the Holiday Inn.  We have a ridiculous number of rooms at
these two hotels and do not anticipate anyone having to stay
elsewhere.

NOTE: If the block fills-up at both hotels, please let me know and I
can speak with the managers about getting more rooms at the block
rate.

I am told that all rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, and that a pool
and continental breakfasts are available. Pairings will be put out both hotels.

Need more hotels? email and ask.

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

TRANSPORTATION: Emporia is located at the major highway junction of I-335
and I-35. Those of you driving will have little trouble finding the
University or the hotel, as both are located within two blocks of
I-35. For those of you flying, the Emporia airport does have shuttle
service to KCI, but you will find flying into Kansas City
International Airport the cheapest option.  If notified in advance,
ESU can provide transportation for teams flying into KCI free of cost.
 We would like to see more regional diversity at our tournament so we
will provide this service free of cost.  Please let us know ASAP if
you want a lift.

GUIDELINES: The Pflaum will abide by all relevant CEDA guidelines on sexual
harassment and debater eligibility.

TOPIC: We will use the 2008-09 CEDA/NDT topic.

TIMES: 9-3-6 with 10 minutes of prep.

DIVISIONS: We will offer Novice, Junior Varsity and Open levels of
competition, eligibility by CEDA guidelines. We reserve the right to collapse
divisions if entries warrant. We will try to preserve novice as a primary
concern.

AWARDS: will be awarded to the top 10 speakers in all divisions that
warrant, more if the numbers are there, less if not. Suitable awards will
be given to all out round participants.

SMOKING: ESU is a minimal smoking campus, smoking is allowed 25ft away
from buildings, we ask your help in enforcing this policy as well as
being aware of the mess smoking creates outside of buildings.

ELIMINATION ROUNDS: Will be held as per the CEDA formula, we anticipate at
least quarters in all divisions, octos in open.  If teams are forced
to go maverick because of extenuating circumstances, they will be
allowed to debate but not to clear.

ENTRY FEES: $80 per policy team.

JUDGING GUIDELINES: Each team is expected to provide one qualified judge
for every two teams entered. One team will equal a half commitment (3
rounds). Fees for uncovered teams will be $100, of course we would rather
have your judges than your money. We reserve the right to limit entries
based on available judges from any school. We do not have any judges
available locally for hire at this time (except JT who might be spoken for
already). We encourage you to post to edebate to get folks to come out of
the woodwork. If you have judges for hire, please let us know ASAP, and we
will get them hooked up with folks. Each judge is expected to render a
decision before the start time of the next round, in a timely manner, with
ONE team given the win. ALL JUDGES ARE OBLIGATED THROUGH THE FIRST
ELIM ROUND OR ONE ROUND PAST THE ELIMINATION OF THEIR SQUAD, Please
abide by that rule.

If you would like to hire judges through the tournament (e.g. you pay
us, we pay the judge, what you pay the judge goes on your receipt) let
me know and we can make arrangements.

ENTRIES: We support the Brushke site, and entry ability should be up this
evening. Deadline for Entries is Wednesday, January 9th, please send them
in early so we can plan food.

Get your entries in ASAP.

ANTICIPATED SCHEDULE

Friday, October 17th
7 p.m. - 9 p.m. Registration, Holiday Inn Express (pairings may be released
at 10 p.m. or so for 1 and 2)

Saturday, October 18th
8 a.m. Pairing released (Holiday Inn Express, if not Friday)

9 a.m. ROUND ONE (Preset)

11:30 LUNCH (Lakeview cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND TWO (Preset)

4 p.m. ROUND THREE (Powered)

Sunday, October 19th
8 a.m. Pairings released (Holiday Inn Express)

9 a.m. ROUND FOUR (Powered)

11:30 LUNCH (Skyline cafeteria)

1 p.m. ROUND FIVE (Powered)

4 p.m. ROUND SIX (Powered)

7 p.m. Partials if necessary

THAT NIGHT - Hospitality

Monday, October 20th
7:30 a.m. Pairing released, Holiday Inn Express

8:30 a.m. Elim Round I

10:30 or ASAP Awards Assembly.

ASAP - remaining Elim rounds.

--