[eDebate] Darren Surch's post

William J Repko repkowil
Thu Aug 21 21:10:04 CDT 2008

... raises a particularly important point.

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to give it read.

Defending Bill and-or academic freedom might logically be one's motivation
in signing the petition. I am not posting to disagree with anyone about
that.

However, the *language* of the petition goes beyond an expression of support
for Bill, and not-so-subtly calls out Towson for engaging in a smear
campaign.

I am troubled by that language.

At best -- and I mean at absolute very best -- we cannot know what motivated
those that posted the clip to youtube. To attribute it to a formal "smear
campaign " is really quite aggressive step in my opinion.

Irrespective of whether you agree with the decision to post the clip to
youtube, it seems that signing *that* specific petition entails:

a) Questioning the stated motivations for posting (re-read the posts -- some
motivations are stated), AND:
b) assuming that the *real* motivation was something significantly more
sinister.

That's kind of an awful thing to say in my opinion.

...I'm not ready to say it.

 -- Will