[eDebate] Positive Discourse = Positive Programs

Mariam Willis razianwillis
Fri Aug 22 13:14:33 CDT 2008

Hi all,

In the interest of protecting programs from budget cuts and administrative scrutiny, I would like to share an idea, called Socrates Cafes, that is working nicely to integrate critical thinking and meaningful discourse across campus at Appalachian State University.  Our forums have garnered positive attention and press on campus and in the community.  I have attached the brochure we have distributed for faculty this year.
The Appalachian State University Forensic Union?s philosophical discussion groups, called Socrates Caf?s, are student-facilitated small groups designed to explore complex questions. The facilitators are trained to support group members in becoming more autonomous, conscientious thinkers and doers, as well as skilled speakers and empathic listeners. After just one year of the APP Forensic Union hosting Socrates Cafes, we have been incorporated as co-curricular to the First Year Seminar, as well as the freshman & sophomore level Philosophy courses.

I would be happy to talk with you more about how to implement this.  It is very easy from an administrative perspective,  and rewarding for both facilitators and participants.

Regards,

Kristopher Willis, williskw at appstate.edu
Mariam Razian Willis, willismr at appstate.edu
Co-Directors of Forensics

The Appalachian State University Forensics Union is on facebook.  Join us!

From: oguevara at hotmail.com
To: edebate at ndtceda.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:07:09 -0600
Subject: [eDebate] 'National Level' - Clarification

I want to to be clear - I am not calling on CEDA to reprimand or suspend Bill.  Please, for the love of God, let's stop the bloodletting.  I could imagine no worse action at this juncture.

Instead (and this is what I meant) I'd like to know what CEDA can do in the future to reassure university administrators about the value of debate and convince them that their wholesale indictments about debate are misguided.  They may perhaps discuss the materials that led to those conclusions about the educational value of debate so that counter artifacts could be presented. Perhaps we (being CEDA) could find some ways to help any remaining FHSU debaters have an opportunity to debate.

While we are already behind the ball a bit on this, as FHSU and perhaps other administrators have come to their conclusion, I'd urge that we construct such a statement ASAP with liberal usages of the following phrases: 'academic freedom,' 'understanding intellectual exchange in a competitive context,' etc. Basically constructing a broad statement on civility that foregrounds our commitment to intellectual openess and vigorous exhange.

If folks are going to run video cameras then we need to assume a situation like this will emerge again.  We should try to learn from it.

Ok, I've been in debate since 1985. I've been on edebate (and all its previous incarnations) for over 10 years. Many of you are closer to me than members of my own biological family. But because I am not as smart or wity as Hester, I've had a real difficult time engaging this discussion publicly.  But I've watched in horror for weeks now, tounge-tied and demoralized.  Even now I am not sure what exactly is the argument I want to advance, so I'll whisper is 'please stop.'

No more negative energy. No more inquisitions.   Just positive energy.  Help us rebuild the fortifications before the next breach.

I'm going to keep all future edebate communication to strictly administrative interactions.

My best to all,

OG

Omar G Guevara IIDirector of ForensicsDepartment of CommunicationCollege of Arts & HumanitiesWeber State UniversityOgden, Utah 801.626.6220 (Office)801.668.6910 (Cell) Oguevara at hotmail.comOguevara at weber.edu PLEASE VISIT: WWW.WEBERDEBATE.COM