[eDebate] University of Rochester Brad Smith Debate Tournament Sept 27-28

Ken Johnson kenrjohnson
Fri Aug 29 15:38:21 CDT 2008

Dear Friends:

The University of Rochester Debate Union is pleased to invite you to the 2008 Brad Smith Debate Tournament (?BSDT? or ?The Brad?). The tournament will be held the weekend of September 27 and 28. Our tournament is named in honor of H. Brad Smith, a long time and invaluable University of Rochester Debate Union supporter, who will again honor us with his attendance at this year's tournament. The tournament will be CEDA and SAMBA sanctioned. SAMBA is the Society Advocating More and Better Argumentation. We will use the CEDA definition of "novice." The time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep time. You should enter your teams by Tuesday Sept. 22, 5:00 PM. Send your entries to kjohns15 at mail.rochester.edu & enter them online at debate results.
Last minute changes can be made by calling Ken Johnson at 585-781-0040.
We will attempt to release pairings for rounds 1 and 2 the night before, subject to last minute changes and potentially judge placement.
We will also be hosting a world?s format division. If you wish to enter into the World?s division, please email Ken.
The rest of the invitation includes all the rest of the necessary information for registration and lodging. The University of Rochester Debate Union hopes to see you at our tournament this September in beautiful upstate New York. Let us know if we need to do anything special to make that happen.

Sincerely,

Ken R. Johnson, Director of Forensics Gordie Miller, Assistant Director Brady Fletcher, Coach Mike Girouard, Coach

ENTRIES, FEES, AND INFORMATION Entries:  Entry fees will be $60 per two person team. Fees are $10 less than the past years, but you?ll enjoy the same top class food and hardware.  Fee elimination agreements are avalible.  Your teams pay no fee is you agree to waive U of R entry fees at your tournament.

The fee will cover awards, breakfast on both days, as well as lunch on Saturday. One judge covers two teams.  We will offer our traditional fare.

There will be $120 fee for each uncovered team, but as hired judges are limited we would rather have your judges than your money.

If you have extra judging please make us aware when you register, as we may be willing to hire your extra critics. There will be a $50 fee for each change reported the day of the tournament. Please make all checks payable to the University of Rochester.

HOTEL INFO: Please reserve your rooms today! There is a lot going on in Rochester this weekend and rooms are in short supply.

The tournament hotel is the Days Inn Rochester Thruway at 4853 West Henrietta Road in Henrietta, New York 14467. The phone number is (585) 334-9300.  Judy has agreed to hold a block under ?Rochester Debate? for $65/night + tax.  There are 37 rooms in the block.  10 are smoking.  The hotel has wireless and a breakfast spread.  Nothing fancy, but it?s the cheapest around.
If the Days Inn fills up, try the Red Roof inn on Jefferson Rd. Their rates are in the 80's and 90's, but they are near food and entertainment on the Mc-Mile of Jefferson Rd. Their number is 585-359-1100.
Also there are 15 rooms open at the Best Western 585-427-2700 around $80/night.
ALL THE HOTELS ARE RIGHT OFF THE NYS THRUWAY (90) EXIT 46!

Sexual Harassment and Discrimination: The University of Rochester will uphold the principle of debate in the atmosphere of civility and mutual respect. All our guests should be treated fairly without regard to race, creed, age, sex, national origin, and sexual preference. Any incidences of harassment or discrimination should be reported to the tournament staff immediately.

Schedule: (This is a tentative schedule. We will try to operate ahead of schedule if possible).

Friday, Sept 26, 2008 8 PM to 10 PM: Early registration ?Lobby of the Days Inn Tournament Hotel.

Saturday, Sept 27, 2008: Park in the Library Lot behind Rush Rhees Library, off Intercampus Drive on the River Campus of the University of Rochester.

The central meeting place for the tournament is Hoyt Auditorium on the Library Quad. It is located directly on the opposite side of the Rush Rhees Library from the Library Parking Lot. It is the same as in years past.

7:00 am to 7:30 am: Late Registration - Hoyt Auditorium (River Campus)
7:00 am to 8:00 am: Donuts, Bagels, Coffee, etc.
7:30 am: Final Pairings Released
8:00-10:00 ? Round 1
10:00-12:00 ? Round 2
12:00pm-1:30 Lunch (provided),
round 3 and 4 pairings released.
1:30-3:30 ? Round 3
3:30-5:30 ? Round 4
5:30-7:00 ? Dinner round 5 pairings released
7:00 ? Round 5
10:00 ? Round 6 Pairings Released on Edebate and at the Hotel

Sunday, Sept 28, 2008

7:30 am: Bagels, Donuts, Coffee, etc.
8:00 am to 10:00 am: Round 6
11:00 am to 1:00 pm: First Elimination Round
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Awards Ceremony
2:30 pm to 4:30 pm: Second Elmination Round
4:30 pm till they kick us out:  Appropriate Elimination Rounds to follow

Ken R. JohnsonDirector of ForensicsDepartment of EnglishMorey Hall -- 4th FloorUniversity of RochesterRochester, New York 14627Office: 585-273-5223Cell: 585-781-0040http://www.rochester.edu/College/ENG/debate/index.htmlhttp://sa.rochester.edu/debate/