[eDebate] Congratulations to the 2008 UNLV Round Robin Participants

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Fri Aug 29 17:58:07 CDT 2008

The following eight teams have been admitted to the 2008 UNLV Round Robin
Tournament:

UCO Spurlock/Henry
Idaho State Jennings Montrieul
West Georgia Schultz/Binder
UT-Austin Boyle/Hooper
CSU Fullerton Gray/Bridge
Kansas State Mendenhall/Ziegler
Emory Inamullah/Nikolic
Wyoming Johnson/Bausch

The ranking procedure was set up as follows:

1) each debater was ranked individually and their final individual scores
were added together

2) we averaged the following 3 rating systems together to create a "meta
rating" for each debater: (1) Bruschke rating scale, (2) the Hanson rating
scale, and (3) an elimination round scale (adjusted for tournament size
and adjusted for head to head wins).  This meta-rating comprised 60% of
each debaters final score.

3) NDT performance counted for 30% of each individual's final score, and
CEDA performance counted for 10% of each team's individual's final score

4) To handle new partnerships with incoming frosh or people back from a
long hiatus, "partner #2" always received at least a minimum of 1/3 of
partner #1's score.  This standard essentially says "if partner #1 is good
and we don't know anything about partner #2 (from a
statistical/performance standpoint), then we'll assume that the
partnership is reasonable and that partner #2 isn't more than twice as bad
as the better partner.

5) Schools were allowed to apply as many teams as they wished, but we can
only accept 1 team from each school.  Consolations go out to UCO
Casey/Spomer, who would have qualified.

6) FYI-Towson Cooper/Love also would have qualified for our tournament,
but they accepted an invitation to the Kentucky Round Robin instead.

7) In order to create an transparent application based Round Robin
tournament, with a non-arbitrary acceptance procedure, I relied HEAVILY on
"math-magician" Dr. Jon Bruschke.  Without his assistance the application
and ranking systems never would have been possible.  I owe him a huge debt
of gratitude and my eternal thanks.  Any mistakes in the acceptance
procedure are my own.   The ranking and acceptance chart is attached here.
 If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks to everyone for applying, we look forward to seeing you in Las
Vegas.

Jake

Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas