[eDebate] THE FIGHT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR...CEDA 2008...SHANERAREID VS. BILL SHANAHAN

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Sat Aug 2 16:35:02 CDT 2008

I have so many responses to this post that I'm not sure where to begin. As someone who was not directly a party to this melee - nor even in the room for most of it, I will say it created one of the most harassing workplace environments that I've personally experienced, and your reposting of it has effectively derailed what had been shaping up to be a pleasant afternoon with my family. I'm sure they join me in thanking you for that.

I think I will just focus on your message "sign off", which ended with the word ENJOY. The fact that you feel an altercation which could have been career threatening to several of the parties involved is just public spectacle to be "enjoyed" sickens me. It's the same sort of thinking which forced the friends of Steve Irwin to acquire and destroy the video of his last few moments before it became part of the latest Faces of Death movie.

The controversy didn't surprise me much, having watched the round go down. Once you start down the path of making rounds into public inquisitions about whether prior actions (or prior identities) of the debaters are acceptable, it's hard to say where it ends. It's pretty easy to imagine a far worse ending, given how hurtful the entire encounter was for many of the people directly involved.

It seems disturbing that you even want to revisit that hurt, much less revel in it and invite others to join your party. But, if you take your talents to the paparazzi (particularly the subset who try to run celebs off the road so they can get pictures of their reactions), you could make more money.

Keep on rockin' in the free world, Adam....

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication & Director of Forensics
Craig Hall 366A, Dept of Communication
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897
(O) 417-836-7636