[eDebate] CEDA 2008...SHANARA REID VS. BILL SHANAHAN

Beth Skinner beth.skinner
Sun Aug 3 01:15:46 CDT 2008

What is the idea that people should take away from such criticism?
It's ok for this incident to have happened but just not for it to be
published and discussed?  So long as there isn't documentary evidence
then the community can plausibly deny such things happen?  No one has
a comment on the acceptability of a bottle of scotch sitting on the
CEDA final round judge's table?  No one would have a problem showing
their administrators tapes of their own debaters swearing,
threatening, joking about genocide, etc.?  I hope and believe that a
change such exposure brings is that people recognize their
accountability for decisions they make and behavior they enact in
public environments.

Anyone who watches the video with an iota of attention can see who is
aggressing in this confrontation.  Is it the purpose or just the
effect of recent criticisms that lump both parties together to chill
the behavior of those who stand up for students in the face of such
abuse?  I am proud of the arguments Dayvon and Deven made in the round
and I am proud of Shanara's passion, strength and character.  I'm not
shuddering at all.  Beth