[eDebate] CEDA 2008...SHANARA REID VS. BILL SHANAHAN

Jason Jarvis debatekorea
Sun Aug 3 16:17:48 CDT 2008

Things I didn't say:

-Bill was right to behave the way he did (he appeared to be a raving jerk)
-Shanara was wrong to be upset (I think Ede's comments were very insightful and educational on this point)
-Both people are equally "to blame"
-The arguments the Towson debaters made were inappropriate.
-People should not be held accountable for their actions

My concern (perhaps unfounded) is that either or both people could lose their jobs.  Why?  Because I don't think that in an activity that is supposed to teach persuasion and rhetoric (and use those tools to reach greater degrees of understanding), administrators would be particularly impressed by two coaches who went head to head with profanity laced tirades.  It is hardly implausible to think that any university would want to be represented in that way.

The argument I made, that I think you didn't answer is this: no one in
that video, other than James and (perhaps) ML looks very professional.
It portrays both the participants (Bill and Shanara) as crazed lunatics
and makes policy debate look fairly bad.

Ede's comments on the potential danger to Shanara, imho, were probably spot on.  If Shanara ok'd this video being posted, then so be it, but I don't feel its inappropriate to ask if there are unintended consequences that may result from the video.   Internet background checks are now pretty common for employers.

Oh, and Andy, its nonsense to suggest that because I think ML was right that people ought to build bridges to one another that I am a racist.  What building bridges means for whites and blacks is undoubtedly DIFFERENT due to the legacy of racism, socio-economic location and power relations, etc.  However, at the end of the day, if white people who want to change find no partners in black America that can educate them, or in some way, shape or form help us make the necessary transitions, then there really isn't  much hope for race relations.   I found Ede's comments, for example, to be very educational as I mentioned above.  It appeared to me that he was trying to build bridges by talking about his experiences.

Good luck.  At some point I'll send ya'll a postcard from Beijing.

Jason L. Jarvis

Assistant Dean and Lecturer,

Korea Development Institute Graduate School of Public Policy and Management

http://www.kdischool.ac.kr/

http://revealyourinnerathlete.windowslive.com?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WLYIA_whichathlete_us