[eDebate] No Justice, No Peace

Ede Warner ewarner
Mon Aug 4 12:57:53 CDT 2008

To Scott aka the apparent king of mischaracterization,

It's not all race, it's not all gender, it's not all socio-economics.  It's a combination of all three, and many other factors that create the America and world we live in, including the debate community. But I understand why you need to position me as something else.  You need to discredit me I guess?  But our arguments today at Louisville provide the ability to discuss all of those and many more.

What do you mean by "my position?"  Towson made these arguments, not me?  What exactly are you talking about? Because I attempt to discuss and engage what Towson and Shanara did at Ceda Nationals, does not mean that those are now "my strategies."  But that conflation is the only way you can continue to attempt to discredit me, so "do you Scott."

Today's edebate discussions relate to strike cards, ethics, plans and personal responsibility for behavior.  Those are the links, i.e. the issues I've been discussing.  The only context of race I've discussed is the racial differences in implications for some of these actions and efforts to describe past actions that may be insightful to the discussion.  But given your insistence in separating them, I suspect you don't see that or that is the debate I "overclaim".

Have you watched the CNN series?  How do you think this evidence impacts CEDA/NDT debate?  Or do you think about it?

Let me get this straight Scott...Your position is that CEDA should separate from the NDT for socio-economic reasons that include the elitist nature of the NDT.  Yet if Louisville and Louisiana-Lafayette organized such a move, your new complaint would be Louisville's bad for their take on race, replacing elitism as your new evil that we need to rid the world of.  So what is in it for us to join your cause Scott, more belittlement from you?  You're right, you are not the building bridges guy.  We'll pass...Let's try again when you can come a little closer to an accurate representation of Louisville's thoughts, ideas and arguments...

Love,

Ede

Ede Warner, Jr.
Director of Debate Society/Associate Professor of Communication
University of Louisville
308E Strickler Hall
502-852-3522
ewarner at louisville.edu
http://uofldebate.com/

From: <scottelliott at grandecom.net>
To:<edebate at ndtceda.com>
Date: 8/4/2008 01:33 PM
Subject: [eDebate]  No Justice, No Peace
Couple quick responses to several people.

To David Glass--there is a committee drafting an enforceable code of
professional responsibility. How do I know this? I just finished a rough draft
and it is being reviewed by the committee. Ironically, Ede Warner and I are
working together in the working group.

To Ede-I am probably not in the "bridge building" camp. I still think CEDA and
NDT should split. Recall Marcus Garvey, Elijiah Mohammed and many within the
Black (African American) movement have argued that the overall system of white
America is so corrupt, the only choice is separation and voluntary exclusion.
It is 50 years since MLK, and according to you the system is still just as
bankrupt as it was during Jim Crow. Perhaps burning the bridges is not such a
bad idea.

Now, before anyone takes me out of context, let me put it on the record. I think
Ede overclaims his position concerning racism in debate. I think he is flat
wrong about the barriers being based on racism within the community. I think
the barriers are socio-economics at the secondary education level. For evidence
I give you the section in the documentary "Resolved" in which the California
state champions high school debate program is cut because of the No Child Left
Behind Act. They were good debaters, but it was their school adminstrators that
killed their program--not some what racist cabal at the TOC or CEDA.

But, if we take Ede's and others (Towson) rhetoric at face value, I think a
stronger case can be made for burning bridges than for trying to increase
inclusion. I am still suprised that no one has counter-planned in rounds to
create an HBCU policy debate organization. Because then we would get to the
core reason why so many minority students don't debate--it is because they
cannot afford to do it in college and they can't afford to do it in high
school--and their schools can't afford to fund their programs.

There are thousands of white students who also cannot compete. But it is a
matter of economics rather than a matter of some Klan conspiracy.

Scott
(Spreading love as always)